Metal Guitarist Forums banner

TC Nova System vs G System

Tags
nova
8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  PirateMetalTroy 
#1 ·
Well, I'm having a pretty major rethink on my rig situation. Started as a hunt for a new amp, but I'm now rethinking how I can streamline my whole rig even more. I'm debating between the Nova System or a G System, since both come into the "reasonable" price bracket used, but I'd like some feedback from any of you who've owned and used either.

Part of my choice kinda depends on if I go the head or rack route as I'll go G System for sure if I go rack. One cable between the rack and pedalboard sounds awesome to me, but the Nova definitely appeals for use with a head.

What I know is:

Nova effects are ported from the G System, but the G System has a few extra effects. Nova has a built in drive, but I wouldn't be using that in my setup. Nova with a pair of EB Vol Jr's is a damn sight smaller than the G System (which is still smaller than I currently have), G System has built in loops which would save me purchasing a midi loop switcher.

What I really want to know:

How good is the harmoniser? I have one song where I use the harmony on my HD500 and while it tracks well the artefacts bug me. I know they are present on any harmoniser, I just want to know if they're less evident.

What's the tuner like? Does it track standard tuned 7's/6's in B standard well?

Anything particularly good or bad about them?

Go!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
If anything, I found the HD500 harmonizer better than the g-system one. But my g-system is old, so maybe it's been impreoved, but I have no idea. g-system harmonizer definitely freaks out if you play more than one note at a time. g-system + nova drive is cool if you've got the midi cable thing. That way you can run the nova drive out in front of the amp without messing around with the preamp section in the loops, and shit.

As for the nova system, I've never tried it, but as far as I know, you can't use the drive out front and the effects in the loop. It's all in the loop, or all out front. There are a couple really insightful videos from TC endorsers on both units that you might wanna have a look at.

I've honestly never really used the tuner in the g-system. I've had a korg rack tuner for as long as I've been gigging. If i recall, it tracked my guitars tuned down to C# with no issues, so B standard should be a breeze. I'll go do some research for you next time I'm at the jam space.

Good:

It'll stick to talking about the g-system since that's the unit I know. It's built like a tank. solid aluminum. blinky lights, lots of options. relay switching, midi switching, true bypass loops, instant access effects that you can program differently for each patch, but leave them off, if you like. The g-system can re-arrange the buttons to anywhere you see fit. You can remove the effects brain and rack it up with all your pedals (which is what I do) It's a lot of awesome kit, but...

Bad:

The g-systems effects banks are a little annoying if there are certain effects types you want to use at the same time. For instance, chorus, flanger, phaser, and tremolo are all on the same block. If you want to use more than one at a time, you're out of luck. Relay switching is a little slow, but not a HUGE deal. You just gotta switch a little early. It's also a little bit of a pain in the ass to set up at first. Laird's "White book" will get you sorted out if you go g-system.

It's very good, very versatile, but like anything, it's not without it's issues/gremlins.

#5 ·
Everything. Current rig is the 5153 50W with the Pod HD500 4 cabled for fx, channel switching via midi and volume control.

Long version:
I love the tones I can get from the 5153, but I'm finding I like the sound of channel 2 with a boost better for rhythms now, which is complicated by channels 1 & 2 sharing an eq. I'm also having a problem with the high end fizz (which I know is a common issue with 5150 users). It wasn't so bad to start with, but having lived with it for 15 months now it's starting to grate. It's exacerbated by this being insanely loud for a 50w amp, so I'm just not getting the power section running hot enough to tame it even with attenuating the signal between the pre and power sections while it runs through the Pod.

I did borrow a friends 100W to see if that worked better with the 3 eq's (which it did), but it still had the fizz issue. I'm now thinking that much as I like it, it's not really the amp to fit in with this band. Add in that between selling my currents amps (I've got a JCM900 too) and a few other bits of money I'm due coming in I'll have quite a healthy budget to play with I'm looking at some really nice amps, so I kinda figured I might as well look at redoing the whole rig, especially if I can simplify set up times and/or reduce the pedalboard foot print.

TL;DR: My amp isn't working in the band and I've got a decent chunk of spare cash coming up.

#4 ·
Cheers for that Tory :yesway:

Multi-note harmonies aren't something I use, so that's not so much of an issue. I'd be using my existing drive pedal anyway, so not being able to use the drive in the Nova System isn't a deal killer either.

The tuner sucks, had a chat with Lozek as he owns a G System.

But, hopefully trying one or the other out this weekend on a gear trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.