Metal Guitarist Forums banner

NCD: holy damn

4K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Divebombs 
#1 · (Edited)
NCD: holy damn Oversized 4x12

Nomades oversized 4x12, custom made in Quebec, Canada, rear-loaded with Eminence Tonkers (600watts total).

Cab is black tolex and gray metal grille(not chrome) which I will refinish to Matte Black.

There it is, tried today with my main rig - Engl e570 into VHT 2150 poweramp.

Compared side by side against a VHT Fatbottom 4x12(Eminence P-50, front-loaded), Vader oversized 4x12 (Eminence Customs, rear loaded), Avatar 4x12 (v30+Greenbacks, front loaded), Mesa Rectifier Oversized 4x12(v30, rear loaded).

Impressions: the Nomades isn't front loaded like I thought it'd be, but holy crap that cab is LOUD and sounds huge. It also weights way over 100lbs but it sounds heavy as hell. The speakers remind me of V30 but without the mid-spikiness and with rounded lows and highs, but with a wider resonating capability. The cab is built pretty well too, it's a slighly wider oversized. Quality wise, the cab is made of thicker wood and the build is high-end, the wiring and switch is over the top quality, 8ohm mono, 4/4ohms stereo switch, AND output for daisy chain.

Side by side with the VHT, VHT sounded scooped and directional with tighter bass, while the Nomades was more boomy in the lows without farting out but with more girth around the mids. The VHT is my main cab when playing halfstack but now I thin'k I'll use the Nomades for that instead. It spreads better and resonates better, plus the slightly boomy lows are more filling but are still tight sounding overall. I didn't think I'd end up liking the Nomades THAT much.

Side by side with Vader, Vader was just darker and colder overall, basically the Nomades kills it with more girth and better spread for my type of sound. Sellin the Vader to someone who will enjoy it more.

Side by side with Avatar, well the Avatar is way tighter than the Nomades but compared to each other the Avatar is not even half as bassy. The Avatar has awesome spread but lacks the girth. Not my cab but I lost my interest in the Avatar now.

Side by side with Mesa, well the Nomades sounds twice as good in every aspect... I can't believe the Mesa are so expensive, honestly the Nomades sounds similar but with more girth in the mids and bass and a better spread, same loundess. Unless you like the spikiness of the V30, which I'm sure would sound even better in the Nomades, I'd advise people to really try it before buying. I used to love Mesa Recto cabs but I can't stand those recto cabs anymore, oversized or not, it lacks something for my tone... Oh well, not my cab either and I won't be buying one in the future I think, I wish I could find the old halfback/metal grille cabs again though.

Finally, I'm extremely impressed and Satisfied. This thing is a TANK, both for its built and for its sound, powerful.

See less See more
#8 ·
That said, I'm glad you like what you've ordered!
Thanks Leon! Well I didn't expect to like these speakers, I guess you're right it does affect the sound a lot so I guess I shouldn't change them if I like the sound, unless I try to X-pattern them with something else I like too like C-G12K100 or Emi-Governors.

I just feel like the cab resonance really does something in that cab, listening to it from the far sides still projects tons of lows and low mids, just not super clearly but still more than all the other cabs I've tried so far.:metal:

Flexk

#10 ·
That's what I noticed when hearing them, pretty nice response. The V30 is a classic but somehow never worked quite well with my rig, it seems like the lows are very limited which can be nice for recording or mic'ing live but otherwise it's very loud but without the wider enveloppe that Governors have.

What are your favourite speakers?

#11 ·
I tend to go for a dry-ish, low-cut type of rock/metal tone, so I love V30's.

But, my favorite amp right now, my Mesa Stiletto, is VERY BRIGHT. :lol: So, I bought a pair of Eminence Wizards, and they are pretty fantastic with the Stiletto. They tame the highs, but not in a wet-blanket kind of way. The highs are still very crispy and articulate, just not as piercing.

#13 ·
Yeah the V30 work really well with that type of tone, lot of crunch and presence. With my tone it gets a bit too spiky though, depending on the cab though. The overzised Mesa cabs work better for me than the regular though, unless loaded with C90s.

The Stiletto is an amazing amp in those regards too! So the Wizards are similar but with the tamed Highs? That's interesting. How would you compare to the Governors?

I love the Mesa cabinets, but I understand where the OP is coming from, every now and then I get tired of them, stop using them and swear by some other cab and cant understand why I ever loved V30's. A few months or a year later I am usually back to a Mesa Loaded V30 cab for my modern tones, now If I want classic tones I love my 1978 Marshall Black Back cab.
Love/Hate relationship I see? Haha. They definitely aren't bad, but I find they have a strange response, I feel like it's the mix of the cab and the speakers though, I've heard V30s in other cabs and some sounded very different. I used to love the sound from a Straight Mesa Recto cab on bottom and G12T75 1960b Marshall on top but didn't like either on their own. I even switched the speakers in the marshall for X-pattern G12K100 and G12T100 but still didn't quite bring the hugeness I was after. It was bassy and tight and warm as hell but very beamy.

#12 ·
I love the Mesa cabinets, but I understand where the OP is coming from, every now and then I get tired of them, stop using them and swear by some other cab and cant understand why I ever loved V30's. A few months or a year later I am usually back to a Mesa Loaded V30 cab for my modern tones, now If I want classic tones I love my 1978 Marshall Black Back cab.

#21 ·
My only problem with the oversized mesa cabs is they have to be pushed a good bit more to get a good close micing sound. They sound pretty damn good though once they get moving. Personally I've never been the biggest v30 fan, I like something a bit smoother in the midrange for everything but rectos, but I can't stand dark cabinets, it's like throwing a wet blanket over the amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.