Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAD: free junker '68 Bassman 50

ME: CU24
    MA: Baby Taylor
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Hartke HyDrive 210/Mk IVa

NAD: free junker '68 Bassman 50

So a friend of mine owns a business repairing houses that people have trashed after foreclosure. A great guy, hard worker, hockey coach like myself - a prince among men. He was working in a house last week or the one before and found an old Fender amp. Told me about it, and I told him to just shoot me a pic of it and I'd tell him what it was.

So I see him Sunday at a soccer game and he has the amp in his car and gives it to me to check out. Absolutely filthy amp, lots of rust inside, no power tubes, no feet on the head, no handle, back is missing, and filled with spider webs. I tell him I'll take a look and let him know what I find.

So, I get it home, dust it out and clean it up a bit, throw a pair of old Ruby 6L6s in the empty power tube sockets, and notice the 4 12ax7s all say "Mesa Engineering" on them. Interesting I put it on my spare 2x12 V30 cab and it comes right up with all tubes lighting and is warm in about 5 minutes.

Plug in my '79 Artist, and the amp sings beautifully, and has a really musical voice to it. Playing with the settings it finally dawns on me it has 3 more knobs than it came with (I am not an old Fender amp master here, I had originally thought some knobs got replaced, not added 'in addition to'). Two end up being master volumes, didn't figure out the last one yet.

So, I email him and say the amps sounds great, and he can definitely sell it for something, but because it has been modded it isn't a collector piece really, not withstanding the rust, missing strap, and the fact it looks like it has been in a damp closet for 30 years. He says, "If you like the way it sounds, just keep it. Thanks for taking the time to check it out".

So, 50 Watt '68 Bassman with master volume and possible plexi mods for free, completely out of the blue It is a bit 'old amp noisy' but in a beautiful way.

I can't get to my site for pics from work, so if this pic doesn't work I'll fix it when I get home.

"Let us be kind one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle”" Ian McLaren

ME: Gibson SG Special
    MA: Yamaha FSX700SC
    Rig: Fender Deluxe VM

Those vintage Bassman amps sound incredible. They can just scream if you want them to, and I'm betting those added master volumes will help in that aim as well.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Wouldn't hurt to take it to a tech to a) figure out what's been done, b) make sure the filter caps haven't blown and that there aren't any shorts resulting from corrosion, and c) install a 3-prong grounded cable. C especially.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: CU24
    MA: Baby Taylor
    MB: STR LS-648
    Rig: Hartke HyDrive 210/Mk IVa

Yeah, it has a 3 prong cable on it now. At some point someone who knew what he had did the right thing by it, but I have no idea how long ago that was unfortunately.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Damn, awesome, man.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Well, you sure can't argue with that.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Wirelessly posted

Hell yeah
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Wirelessly posted ()

Fuck. Yes.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.