Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Machine head Blackening guitar gear

7K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Bloody_Inferno 
#1 ·
Does anyone knows what amps cabinets petals etc and mixing techniques they use for this amazing sound of guitars at Blackening?? I'm listening this a couple of years and i'm wondering :p

#10 ·
Their 'go to' 5150 is called Bubba and it's not modded. They just like it (not all amps of the same model sound the same, especially after time, due to variation and drift in component values). If it wasn't that, it would have been one of Richardsons 5150s, which I believe are modded.

Other than that, EMG equipped guitars, SM57, maybe with a 421 as matt says (but the 57 will be dominant), and I think they might use marshal cabs. Not sure.

It's a pretty simple rig really.

Rob says that he uses low gain and presumably digs in a lot. That will affect the tone very strongly, and there will probably be a boost in there. An 808 in all probability, but I don't know for sure.
:agreed: to all of these. And you can bet that the guitars are all quad tracked, maybe mixed with other amps like a Recto as well.

Seems like a lot of gain for the green channel.
The green channel on a 5150 (1, not 2) is where a lot of the agressive chunk comes from. You can dial a ton of gain on it and it still don't lose the low end. Throw a TS boost in front to add that extra push over the cliff.

#5 ·
Their 'go to' 5150 is called Bubba and it's not modded. They just like it (not all amps of the same model sound the same, especially after time, due to variation and drift in component values). If it wasn't that, it would have been one of Richardsons 5150s, which I believe are modded.

Other than that, EMG equipped guitars, SM57, maybe with a 421 as matt says (but the 57 will be dominant), and I think they might use marshal cabs. Not sure.

It's a pretty simple rig really.

Rob says that he uses low gain and presumably digs in a lot. That will affect the tone very strongly, and there will probably be a boost in there. An 808 in all probability, but I don't know for sure.

#7 ·
Maybe they used low gain to record, but when I saw them live a few years ago I don't think I've ever heard anyone use as much gain as Machine Head.

#12 ·
I remember a studio video from their latest album where Robb said this was their first album where they quad tracked the guitars.

They use Axe-Fxs now live.

#20 ·
Depends on the parts.

You can try:
L[2xRhythm] C[Lead] R[2XRhythm]
L[2xRhythm] C[2xLead] R[2XRhythm]
L[2XRhythm] R[2xLead]
L[Rhythm, Lead] R[Rhythm, Lead]

And any number of variations with stacking additional tracks, relative levels of tracks and moving some tracks in from outer extremes.

There's no obligation to quad either. You can just do one rhythm either side, it's often fine and sometimes better. In fact, unless you can play the part very well indeed, you shouldn't quad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.