Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Anybody tried the TC Mojomojo for high gain stuff?

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Spinedriver 
#1 ·
I'm intrigued by this pedal to thicken and juice-up leads. But every example of it I've seen seems like it's only geared towards beefing up a crunch channel in a more blues/rock setting.

But what about high gain? It seems (in theory) like the ideal thing to step on when you want to round out the 'cut' dialed in for your chunky chunk rhythms and add that extra warmth and juice to your leads. Anybody tried it for this?

And just for the hell of it, here's some PG

#2 ·
I didn't even know that pedal existed!

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used it with a hi-gain amp, it certainly sounds like it would do what you're looking for, Mattayus. Pretty nice sounding pedal, that's what I wish my old DS-1 would do.

#3 ·
Yeah man it sounds super sexy. I mean, it's not like I'm crazily dissatisfied with my current lead tone. I'm using my rectifier live with a TS in front on all the time, and just hitting the solo volume boost on the amp and throwing on some delay for a lead sound. It's not a bad tone by any means, gets the job done, but it's still just essentially my rhythm tone, just a little louder and with some delay. I'd like to be able to stomp on something that just fills out that midrange a little more and creams things up real nice, whilst still being fairly transparent. Something like the Suhr Koko Boost sounds ideal but don't fancy splashing that much cash on it. Tbh, these Mojomojo's are cheap enough that I might just grab one anyway and see how it turns out.

#4 ·
If you can get your hands on one across the pond, or bring one over, the VFE Ice Scream is the best pedal I've ever used for what you're talking about. Its got a low cut, hi cut, and mid boost knobs on top of the tone, drive, and level. I haven't found a better pedal for boosting rhythm and lead.

I am gonna try to find one of the mojo mojos to try, PGmade it sound incredible.

#6 ·
If you can get your hands on one across the pond, or bring one over, the VFE Ice Scream is the best pedal I've ever used for what you're talking about. Its got a low cut, hi cut, and mid boost knobs on top of the tone, drive, and level. I haven't found a better pedal for boosting rhythm and lead.

I am gonna try to find one of the mojo mojos to try, PGmade it sound incredible.
Yeah those Ice Screams sound incredible on the demos I've heard! Bit hard to get over here though I think.

There's a Kokoboost up for sale on one of the Facebook pages for £100 at the minute dude.
The Mojomojo's are retailing for like £36 at the moment, so I think I'll try that first :lol:

#9 ·
Necro :bump: because I finally bought one, albeit 18 months later :lol:

Took it to rehearsal last night, and my initial thought was; why has nobody done anything with this for high gain? It's exactly what I was after.
I put it in the chain right after my Maxon OD808, and for leads I kick the OD off and throw the TC on, and it's just great. Thicker, creamier, but still giving the amp that push and sustain.

I'm still playing about with it, not really much time to faff at rehearsal without people moaning, but it's a great pedal. Warm, rich overdrive, fattens up the high strings but doesn't get muddy on the lows (so long as you keep the bass knob low, but even then it doesn't really fart out, it just didn't sound that great).

Also, for rock rhythms, if you use it like a typical overdrive (with the drive low and the level high) it sounds cool. Not as focused/compressed sounding as a tubescreamer type, but still hits the amp hard and gives some nice saturation.

If I get time over the following fortnight I'll knock a video together of some type. This is cheap enough for people to pick up and try out for themselves though, if you want a different flavoured OD on your board.

#10 ·
I had one but I ended up trading it away. Not necessarily because it wasn't good, it's just that it wasn't as good as other pedals I have. I found that if you turned the bass pass 9 or 10 o'clock, it got a bit too muddy in the low/low-mid range. I picked up a Visual Sound Route 808 and I like it a LOT better than the Mojo. That being said, it's really not bad for the price and it does work well as a boost if you have a thinner sounding amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.