I recently stumbled across a Genz Benz Gflex 4x12, yes the huge ported cab with the middle-angled gray MDF baffle.
Any users here? I know the 2x12 was really popular though. Did you guys all switched to Thiele cabs yet or what? :roll:
My personal observations so far:
- the cab sounds tighter than I expected it to be, not like a "knife through butter" but still tight enough
- the sound is surprisingly defined, very clear, and thick all at once
- the bass is very defined instead of being ignored like a lot of cabs do at loud volumes by compressing the low-end, this cab doesn't compress it; it lets it breathe, definitely interesting
- I don't know if it's the design or the speakers but when I let heavy palm-muted chords ring out, the cabs holds it better and longer than any other cab I've tried; usually cabs start shaking and buzzing or fall out of phase after a few seconds
- the speakers sound good but they are not that loud (pretty flat response) and being 75watts each I think I might replace two of them with EVM12L to see what it sounds like.
Anything I should watch out for? Problematic stuff or quality issues I should know about?
I've had a bunch of 4x12s before; VHT/Fryette FatB, Vader, Nomades Custom, Mesa OS, Mesa Recto, Marshall 1960a/b T75/T100/K100 speakers, Peavey MS412 +T75/T100/K100 speakers, Avatar (straight cabs, different specs), Traynor, Emperor... So far the Gflex seems to hold up better than most, we'll see.
I played through the 2 12 version on my last tour and it absolutely ruled. One of the coolest sounding cabs I've ever played through. I'm definitely buying one if I see one pop up at the right time.