Metal Guitarist Forums banner

MXR EVH5150 Overdrive. Just get a 5150.......Pedal

17K views 70 replies 28 participants last post by  Vince 
#1 ·
The only thing I see online of this is TGP and our (my shop) Reverb listing, and I'm not going to re-post a TGP thread, nor spam my own Reverb page, so I'll just give a description:

Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Audio equipment Font Electronic instrument

The MXR® design team has collaborated with Eddie Van Halen to deliver a full range of powerful saturation and hyper driven tones right at your feet.

The resulting EVH® 5150™ Overdrive joins hand-adjusted multi-stage MOSFETs with a full complement of controls to deliver overdriven tube-like tones and exceptional sonic flexibility through a wide variety of amps and speaker cabinets.

Whether on stage or in the studio, the EVH 5150 Overdrive's controls dial up the whole spectrum-from Eddie's groundbreaking early classic tones to the high gain, super-articulate sound he uses today.

Output and Gain controls set your volume and distortion levels, while the 3-band passive tone stack EQ section shapes your sound to taste. The Boost switch kicks the 5150 Overdrive into high gear with extra gain and compression, and the Gate control-powered by the Smart Gate® circuit-tames unwanted noise. The 5150 Overdrive features true bypass switching and comes in a road-worthy housing emblazoned with custom EVH artwork.
Sounds like it might be interesting, though MXR's gain pedals are kinda hit or miss, IMHO.

See less See more
#12 ·
The only thing I see online of this is TGP and our (my shop) Reverb listing, and I'm not going to re-post a TGP thread, nor spam my own Reverb page, so I'll just give a description:

Sounds like it might be interesting, though MXR's gain pedals are kinda hit or miss, IMHO.
You said it exactly. :yesway:

I have the CBM OD pedal and it works like a charm. That being said, I've tried several of their "high gain" offerings like the Fulbore Metal and the Dime Distortion but they were really thin & brittle sounding. I'd be curious to hear a few demos of it for sure.

#30 ·
Actually, I am going in on Thursday to do some general photos of the shop for our website and Reverb, so I'll play it then. Bro. :D

P.S., I wouldn't value my opinion on this anyway; I generally don't care for 5150/6505's at all, and unless it sounds like a Mesa or modded Plexi, I won't be happy. :rofl:

#44 ·
Played it a lot today, through a PRS Two Channel H.

Pluses: I think it definitely has the EVH amp flavor; this is supposedly based on the blue channel of the actual amp, and I can most definitely see that. The dynamics are good, the SmartGate works well, and the boost is subtle yet useful to the point where you work in the sound you want with it, and leave it; I can see why they didn't make it foot switchable.

Negatives: Well, this is subjective. I'm not at all a fan of the 6505's or 5150III's. They're just not at all my thing. While the 5150III isn't quite as fizzy, it's still not as smooth as what I'm used to. So take it for what it's worth; a non-5150 fan giving feedback on a 5150 pedal. :rofl: I suspect if you do like that sound, you'd be very happy with this pedal. I could definitely see someone making a backup pedalboard/flyrig type deal with this pedal and a couple others, if the 6505 or 5150 is your core tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.