Classic 50 reverb issue - verifying my logic and research [Solved... or something]

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic 50 reverb issue - verifying my logic and research [Solved... or something]

Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

Classic 50 reverb issue - verifying my logic and research [Solved... or something]

Hi guys -

I'd not noticed it, mostly because I use an effects loop, but the reverb on my Classic 50 is not working. It's one of those "tank in a bag" things that sits in the bottom of the cabinet beneath the speakers.

Anyway, I ran through several tests including using a foot switch to toggle back and forth - nothing seemed to work. I pulled the tank out of the bag and was able to make it "splash" by moving it around, so I figure the output is working - am I right there?

So, since all of the wires seem to be connected, the springs are present and connected, the RCA plugs are at the input and output points, and the 4-prong connector is solid and well connected, my next step would be to replace the IC chip (I read about this, I don't know jack about amplifier electronics.) It's a $2 item at Radio Shack apparently - TL082 is what I read on the Peavey forum.

If it's not that, then it has to be before the chip (bad pot, etc,) right? Hope my thinking is sound but if it's not, please tell me.

Any input is valuable. Thanks -
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: Suhr, Warmoth, rg550
    Rig: Mark V:25 & Mark II

I would test the chip first, before replacing it. You gotta watch out on some of those ICs for the suffix on them as well. Pull up the datasheet for one, and it should give you numbers to help make sure you're getting what you need to the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by beneharris View Post
    I would test the chip first, before replacing it. You gotta watch out on some of those ICs for the suffix on them as well. Pull up the datasheet for one, and it should give you numbers to help make sure you're getting what you need to the chip.
    Okay, thank you. I appreciate that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

Have you found a schematic for the amp? I haven't had a chance to look for one. If you've got one, put up a link. In the short while I've been working on pedals and such I haven't seen ICs just fail out of the blue. Usually there is another cause.

Quote Originally Posted by beneharris View Post
    Have you found a schematic for the amp? I haven't had a chance to look for one. If you've got one, put up a link. In the short while I've been working on pedals and such I haven't seen ICs just fail out of the blue. Usually there is another cause.
    I'm still looking for a schematic. But this seems to be common amongst the older versions of this amp, according to the Peavey forums.

I'll find one and link to it as soon as I can. Thank you.

Update: Peavey Classic 50 w/ effects

The original IC is a 4558.
    Last edited by Assault Bacon; 09-19-2016 at 08:18 PM.

The op chip fixed it. The reverb works and the pot adjusts the reverb level.

I will say that I like the my Boss RV6 through the effects loop more than the onboard reverb, now that I've heard it.

Thank you again, Ben.

This can be marked SOLVED, if that's what we do here.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Glad it's fixed! I'm not surprised you prefer the Boss - the RV series sounds good. The fact that pretty much any reverb pedal has more options to shape the effect usually helps them sound better than onboard 'verb.

Quote Originally Posted by Assault Bacon View Post
    The op chip fixed it. The reverb works and the pot adjusts the reverb level.

I will say that I like the my Boss RV6 through the effects loop more than the onboard reverb, now that I've heard it.

Thank you again, Ben.

This can be marked SOLVED, if that's what we do here.
    Sweet! Like I said, those guys likely have it down, and know those things way better than I do after looking at a schematic for ten mins. But heck, never hurts to suggest diagnosing them!