Let's discuss people selling modeler presets.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss people selling modeler presets.

ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Let's discuss people selling modeler presets.

I guess I've been out of the loop for a bit, I didn't realize this was such a prevalent thing. I knew Kemper had some preset packs and that Fractal sold cab models, but I didn't realize that people were actually charging for plain old presets now. Like this guy:

"Moke's Custom Presets" store now open! | Fractal Audio Systems Forum

And this guy:

80's hero's preset bundle interest? | Fractal Audio Systems Forum

To name a few. Anyone else find this a bit off putting? Remember when we used to share our presets with each other just because? I guess nothing should surprise me anymore with the rise of the Profiteer Off Your Fellow Guitarists At All Costs way of things these days...

Meh.

ME: Agile Intrepid 727
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: Pod HD Pro

Yeah, people seem to eat it up over at the fractal forum. I've never really understood the thinking... I'd almost have been MORE inclined to pay for a good recording preset for the podHD I had, when getting a gnarly tone for recording was actually pretty challenging. With the AX8...just spin the knobs a bit if you want to and set up the preset to have the FX you want. People on all the forums are always more than happy to help if you're trying to set up something complicated with controllers and whatnot, so I've never really seen the great benefit to using other people's presets. I try free ones from different sources now & again but I always wind up going back to my own anyways. So, paying for presets IMO seems outrageous.

I can understand paying for cab packs, although I don't know if I ever will since stock cabs sound pretty awesome already. But presets? C'mon...

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    people charging for presets

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Quote Originally Posted by ChainOfThought View Post
    I can understand paying for cab packs, although I don't know if I ever will since stock cabs sound pretty awesome already. But presets? C'mon...
    Yeah, I get the cab pack thing, because impulses of whatever_cab are an additional feature. If you have a really great sounding 4x12 and can shoot a quality impulse of it with the right mics, I'll toss you a couple bucks for that, absolutely.

But the idea of some dude saying "Bro give me $10 for my Vai tone" is just silly to me. Firmware comes out so fast for the Axe anyway, whatever presets you buy are going to sound different with each new rev as it is.

You don't hear people with amps say this. "Like my tone? Paypal me $5 and I'll take a picture of my 5150".

ME: Agile Intrepid 727
    MB: American Jazz Deluxe
    Rig: Pod HD Pro

Yeah exactly. The only market I can understand for them is people who can't conceptualize what they can do with the equipment. So dude makes a bunch of presets that showcase all the different options available and ways in which you can build presets. In other words, its not about the tone as much as it is about the controllers, FX use, routing etc etc.

I still think its absolutely stupid, but I can see the market.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

I remember when I paid money for the MFX Supermodels for the GNX3000. When I sold the unit, I put the disk with it, and I actually sent someone else a copy of it when they asked about it. By this point the unit was 2 generations back, and charging money for what was basically patches seemed stupid.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Especially because, on better modelers like the Axe, whatever pickup and guitar you're plugging into it is going to make such a huge difference...

Remember when maybe a decade ago Petrucci shut down the (still early) internet by sharing, for free, his Triaxis presets? Anyone who thinks their preset is worth more than Petrucci's can fuck right off in my book.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Especially because, on better modelers like the Axe, whatever pickup and guitar you're plugging into it is going to make such a huge difference...

Remember when maybe a decade ago Petrucci shut down the (still early) internet by sharing, for free, his Triaxis presets? Anyone who thinks their preset is worth more than Petrucci's can fuck right off in my book.
    So much this. I generally dont even bother with axechange any more because what sounds awesome in a soundlcloud upload from another user invariably sounds like shit with my guitar/pickups/playing/monitors etc

I suppose this is just another outlet for people to make money and some people are willing to part with their cash to have someone else do the knob twiddling, which again I understand. I'd love to see what the return customer figures are though as I can see this creating plenty of buyers remorse.