Hmm... what the hell is a Randal T2 hybrid head?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hmm... what the hell is a Randal T2 hybrid head?

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Mesa Lone Star Spl

Hmm... what the hell is a Randal T2 hybrid head?

Today someone offered me a Randal T2 Hybrid head. I assume this hybrid because it's part solid state or something? Or programmable, etc?

I can't seem to find a lot on this thing. And every video I've seen of what appears to be a T2 sounds like a wall of noise... that could be because of the way it's being played, etc., though.

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks -
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: PRS SE Singlecuts
    MB: Spector NS2B
    Rig: Mesa Triple Recto/OS 412

It's a hybrid amp. The preamp has 3 channels; A ss clean, ss distortion, and tube distortion. The tube distortion uses 3 preamp tubes, I believe. The power amp (400w mosfet) has a tube in it to give it a bit more of a tubey sag to it.

It's a pretty dark-sounding amp. HUGE empasis in the low end and midrange, and not a lot of treble. A very smooth, dry, and tight amp. The SS channel surprisingly doesn't have a lot of gain. Probably as much as a JCM900, but it's very tight and aggressive. The tube channel has stupid amounts of gain, especially with the tight switch disengaged. It's more of a smoother-sounding gain that's more reminiscent of a VHT or Fryette.

And it has MIDI, so you can control the channels, FX loop, and 5-band EQ via MIDI.

I personally wouldn't go over $500USD for one.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Mesa Lone Star Spl

Thank you sir. I really appreciate your input.

ME: Ibanez S 540 Ltd
    Rig: Bugera 333XL Infinium

I think he's describing the V2 though...the T2 does'nt have an SS gain channel. It's got a clean, gain & a boost channel ...all hybrid. The regular (red) gain channel is good for anything from Matthais Jabs/Scorps type hard rock/metal tones upto 80's metal (Priest/Savatage/Maiden) & then the boost Channel will give you more modern tones (think Arch Enemy..) right upto brutal death metal. It has separate mid & mid-sweep controls so while it does'nt get Marshall bright maybe..it will do tight trebly thrash/Pantera type stuff really well. I think the lead tones are pretty sweet too...

I've got the smaller 100 watt model (ie..the T2HL) which came later, was Chinese made and got discontinued really quick. The Regular 400 watt T2's were also Chinese-made but "assembled in the US" ..whatever that means .

Apparently the 100 watter's a bit smoother, wetter & rounder/less tight/aggressive/edgy...some say more "tubey" (but otherwise pretty similar) ...lot of hate 'cos it's Chinese (but I think it's awesome ) you might want to confirm which model it is first..

400W T2 demo:

& this guy did a comprehensive demo of the T2HL (100 watt)

Dirty channel demo starts @ 6:45 or so..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-08-2016 at 04:51 AM.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" ~Mark Twain

Youtube

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    It's a hybrid amp. The preamp has 3 channels; A ss clean, ss distortion, and tube distortion. The tube distortion uses 3 preamp tubes, I believe. The power amp (400w mosfet) has a tube in it to give it a bit more of a tubey sag to it.

It's a pretty dark-sounding amp. HUGE empasis in the low end and midrange, and not a lot of treble. A very smooth, dry, and tight amp. The SS channel surprisingly doesn't have a lot of gain. Probably as much as a JCM900, but it's very tight and aggressive. The tube channel has stupid amounts of gain, especially with the tight switch disengaged. It's more of a smoother-sounding gain that's more reminiscent of a VHT or Fryette.

And it has MIDI, so you can control the channels, FX loop, and 5-band EQ via MIDI.

I personally wouldn't go over $500USD for one.
    Phantasmagoria is right, you're talking about the V2 that had both the extra solid state channel and it has a 5 band eq.

Here's the original T2

and here's the V2 that you were describing.

I used to have a T2 a while back and with an MXR 10 band eq in the loop, it was a freakin' monster ! If I hadn't switched over to bass in the band I was playing in at the time, there's a pretty good chance I'd still have it. If I remember correctly, it used 3-12AX7 tubes and a single 12AT7. If I had to guess, the single was either for the clean channel or the fx loop and the other 3 were for the "od" channel. It's definitely worth it to try it out though.

ME: Ibanez S 540 Ltd
    Rig: Bugera 333XL Infinium

Yeah..it's a meaty monster \m/ That 12AT7 is actually a "buffer" for the power section (makes for tubey feel/response or something..) The 3 12AX7's are for the preamp.

ME: Fernandes Ravelle
    MB: Yamaha TRBX305
    Rig: Digitech GSP1101

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    Yeah..it's a meaty monster \m/ That 12AT7 is actually a "buffer" for the power section (makes for tubey feel/response or something..) The 3 12AX7's are for the preamp.
    Thanks for the correction.

I thought it was for either the loop or the clean channel but now that you mention it being a buffer, it kinda rings a bell. It's been 7 or 8 years since I sold it so it's hard to remember some of the finer points.

ME: PRS SE Singlecuts
    MB: Spector NS2B
    Rig: Mesa Triple Recto/OS 412

Well I fucked up.

But yeah, from what I can tell the V2's distortion channel is very similar to the T2's tube drive channel, the T2 is more aggressive and organic from what I've been told. The clean channel is supposed to be better on the T2 as well.