Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb vs Lonestar vs Maverick

10K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Soopahmahn 
#1 ·
As I mentioned a short while back, I had the opportunity to mess with a Mesa Lonestar 2x12 (the LSC) and loved the tone. So, in the back of my head, I'm kinda hunting one but funds being what they are, I'd probably end up trading for it. I know the amps I'm about to ask about are different animals, but that's the point.

I don't dislike my Rectoverb 50 at all. In fact, it's probably the best amp I've owned for versatility and tone. The cleans are not the best, though, and lead tones can be a bit hard-edged.

But, Mesa fans, if you were evaluating a Mesa combo amp for a "creamy, heavy blues rock amp," that takes pedals well, has an excellent clean but can get up and growl if it has to (not necessarily a "metal" amp,) would you consider:

• Rect-O-Verb (already have it)
  • Lone Star Classic (2x12, probably)
  • Maverick (2x12)

I mention the Maverick, as well, because I was offered one and passed, not knowing much about it.

See less See more
#3 ·
1) Don't get a Mesa combo. Too fucking heavy. Get a head and separate cab. Used market is saturated with good cabs including Mesa.
2) Don't discount a Mini Rectifier or ROV:25 unless you need thundering clean tone. Smoother/creamier compared to a high-watt Rectifier. The PUSHED mode is so juicy.
3) Never touched a Maverick.

#5 ·
Ignore the girly-men above me.

Get the Lone Star. If I wanted a blues rock amp that could still saturate, was creamy-smooth, and didn't need to sound metal, I'd own one. Best clean channel I've ever heard in a Mesa - I plugged a Tele in when I first tried one, and it never even crossed my mind to check out the gain channel for the next half hour. Amazing amp.

The gain sound is mid-heavy and very Andy Timmons - if I never wanted a heavier crunch sound, I'd probably own one. It's an amazing sounding amp.

Also, the Lone Star Special is worth a look - same amp, but with a 30/15 watt EL84 power section. I haven't played one but I can't see how it couldn't NOT be good. And for clean/blues rock, get a 1x12 open backed combo.

Reactions: Assault Bacon
#6 ·
Ignore the girly-men above me.

Get the Lone Star. If I wanted a blues rock amp that could still saturate, was creamy-smooth, and didn't need to sound metal, I'd own one. Best clean channel I've ever heard in a Mesa - I plugged a Tele in when I first tried one, and it never even crossed my mind to check out the gain channel for the next half hour. Amazing amp.

The gain sound is mid-heavy and very Andy Timmons - if I never wanted a heavier crunch sound, I'd probably own one. It's an amazing sounding amp.

Also, the Lone Star Special is worth a look - same amp, but with a 30/15 watt EL84 power section. I haven't played one but I can't see how it couldn't NOT be good. And for clean/blues rock, get a 1x12 open backed combo.
Thank you sir.

I appreciate everyone's input. This is a long-term search, probably... no probably about it, actually.

On weight, the Rect-O-Verb is already a chunk. And since I don't gig, it wouldn't bother me to let it sit in my amp stand forever. However, I did see a Lone Star Special "small head" in TX just recently. So, since a couple of people mentioned it, I'm noodling that over as well.

#8 ·
Listen, kidding about head vs combo aside (and for this I'd definitely recommend at least checking out an open back combo), the Lone Star is a KILLER sounding amp, and even if it wasn't on your list here it'd be the amp I'd be telling you to go play. Shit, now that we're talking about it, *I* want one. :lol:

#11 · (Edited)
I may have this situation sorted. I'm fixing to buy a Lone Star Special 2/3 size head - if all goes as planned, that'll be Monday. I'll likely be waiting on the cabinet for a few weeks.

I'm keeping the Rectoverb - at least for now.

Anyone have speaker suggestions? I've owned a Patriot before and I've wanted to try out a Cannabis Rex, as well, but never heard one in person.

EDITED - I meant I would be waiting on the cabinet, not the head. Thankfully, Jeff knew what I was babbling about.

#12 ·
I may have this situation sorted. I'm fixing to buy a Lone Star Special 2/3 size head - if all goes as planned, that'll be Monday. I'll likely be waiting on the head for a few weeks.

I'm keeping the Rectoverb - at least for now.

Anyone have speaker suggestions? I've owned a Patriot before and I've wanted to try out a Cannabis Rex, as well, but never heard one in person.
Mesa V30 or Creamback.

#15 ·
I run my SoulFood ON almost all the time, then for leads, I punch in another OD. The settings aren't too far up for the subsequent OD's, but when you're feeding them an OD'd signal, you don't need much more :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.