Mesa Boogie Rectoverb vs Lonestar vs Maverick

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mesa Boogie Rectoverb vs Lonestar vs Maverick

Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb vs Lonestar vs Maverick

As I mentioned a short while back, I had the opportunity to mess with a Mesa Lonestar 2x12 (the LSC) and loved the tone. So, in the back of my head, I'm kinda hunting one but funds being what they are, I'd probably end up trading for it. I know the amps I'm about to ask about are different animals, but that's the point.

I don't dislike my Rectoverb 50 at all. In fact, it's probably the best amp I've owned for versatility and tone. The cleans are not the best, though, and lead tones can be a bit hard-edged.

But, Mesa fans, if you were evaluating a Mesa combo amp for a "creamy, heavy blues rock amp," that takes pedals well, has an excellent clean but can get up and growl if it has to (not necessarily a "metal" amp,) would you consider:

• Rect-O-Verb (already have it)
    • Lone Star Classic (2x12, probably)
    • Maverick (2x12)

I mention the Maverick, as well, because I was offered one and passed, not knowing much about it.
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Can't say with the maverick, but the lone star kills for that stuff man. Agreed on the rectoverb cleans, I don't miss mine really.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

1) Don't get a Mesa combo. Too fucking heavy. Get a head and separate cab. Used market is saturated with good cabs including Mesa.
    2) Don't discount a Mini Rectifier or ROV:25 unless you need thundering clean tone. Smoother/creamier compared to a high-watt Rectifier. The PUSHED mode is so juicy.
    3) Never touched a Maverick.
    Making metal every night and day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MetalGuitarist.org
    Advertisements

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
    1) Don't get a Mesa combo. Too fucking heavy. Get a head and separate cab. Used market is saturated with good cabs including Mesa.
    2) Don't discount a Mini Rectifier or ROV:25 unless you need thundering clean tone. Smoother/creamier compared to a high-watt Rectifier. The PUSHED mode is so juicy.
    3) Never touched a Maverick.
    This.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer. And as a male plus-sized model for mankinis.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Ignore the girly-men above me.

Get the Lone Star. If I wanted a blues rock amp that could still saturate, was creamy-smooth, and didn't need to sound metal, I'd own one. Best clean channel I've ever heard in a Mesa - I plugged a Tele in when I first tried one, and it never even crossed my mind to check out the gain channel for the next half hour. Amazing amp.

The gain sound is mid-heavy and very Andy Timmons - if I never wanted a heavier crunch sound, I'd probably own one. It's an amazing sounding amp.

Also, the Lone Star Special is worth a look - same amp, but with a 30/15 watt EL84 power section. I haven't played one but I can't see how it couldn't NOT be good. And for clean/blues rock, get a 1x12 open backed combo.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

Rig: Mesa Rectoverb 50

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Ignore the girly-men above me.

Get the Lone Star. If I wanted a blues rock amp that could still saturate, was creamy-smooth, and didn't need to sound metal, I'd own one. Best clean channel I've ever heard in a Mesa - I plugged a Tele in when I first tried one, and it never even crossed my mind to check out the gain channel for the next half hour. Amazing amp.

The gain sound is mid-heavy and very Andy Timmons - if I never wanted a heavier crunch sound, I'd probably own one. It's an amazing sounding amp.

Also, the Lone Star Special is worth a look - same amp, but with a 30/15 watt EL84 power section. I haven't played one but I can't see how it couldn't NOT be good. And for clean/blues rock, get a 1x12 open backed combo.
    Thank you sir.

I appreciate everyone's input. This is a long-term search, probably... no probably about it, actually.

On weight, the Rect-O-Verb is already a chunk. And since I don't gig, it wouldn't bother me to let it sit in my amp stand forever. However, I did see a Lone Star Special "small head" in TX just recently. So, since a couple of people mentioned it, I'm noodling that over as well.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

They're awesome dude. Played one once.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Listen, kidding about head vs combo aside (and for this I'd definitely recommend at least checking out an open back combo), the Lone Star is a KILLER sounding amp, and even if it wasn't on your list here it'd be the amp I'd be telling you to go play. Shit, now that we're talking about it, *I* want one.