Got the other guitarist in my band to EQ with his ears instead of eyes tonight

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got the other guitarist in my band to EQ with his ears instead of eyes tonight

ME: HevAri Dragonrider 7
    MB: Squier Affinity Jazz V
    Rig: Fryette Sig:X/VHT D60

Got the other guitarist in my band to EQ with his ears instead of eyes tonight

He plays a JSX through two Lab Series 4x12s, and usually has it set with the presence and resonance both all the way up, treble around 8, mids around 2 or 3, and bass at 9 or 10, on the Ultra channel, which has an active EQ...meaning that those settings are REALLY scooped, boomy, and harsh

so last week after practice, i suggested perhaps we could try starting off the next practice (tonight) with everything at 5, and tweaking from there until he liked what he heard. when we got there tonight, i made sure everything except volume was set to 5, and then had him play with the band for a couple minutes while i turned it up to a usable level, and asked him what he wanted me to do with the EQ. amazingly, he didn't even ask for any changes from anything, with it all still set at 5...didn't ask where his amp's balls went, and said it sounded so much clearer. it stayed set that way all night

now to get some new tubes in that amp... (it's had the same ones in it for about 3 years )

ME: Agile Hawker 727
    Rig: read my signature

Even I know to change tubes more frequently.
    Vice President of the Reverse Headstock Lover's Club

Agile Hawker 727>Line 6 XDS95>Line 6 POD X3 Pro>Matrix GT800FX>Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Small victories!

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Glad to hear that another flubby mess has been somewhat contained!

I'm still educating my band's guitarist on the virtues of mids and turning down the drive control so that his vocals and our keyboardist can actually be heard.

At least he retubed his Bassman so it doesn't sound like a screechy wet fart anymore.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Martin OMC-1E
    MB: Dingwall Combustion
    Rig: Line 6

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

you said "JSX" and i was thinking "hm.. ok." and then you said "scooped w/ pres and res cranked" and it made me a sad panda.

Congrats on that one, Ari!

note: My JSX shipped with 2-year-old? stock EHX's, and the amp sounded fine. It will sound a bit better when he puts new tubes in though
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD):

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

i ahve yet to convince our second guitarist to re-eq his dual rectifier...because he needs to roll the gain back and some mids in.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

One of my guitarists couldn't get a proper clean tone out of his Dual Rect. without it being either too quiet, or fuzzy sounding. So, I looked at his settings: channel volumes on 10, master volume very very low, gain on clean channel being used as a volume control for that channel. So, I turned the gain down on the clean channel until he liked the tone, turned up the master volume until he had proper volume, and turned down the channel volume on his gain channel until it matched up with the clean, and he immediately stopped hating his amp as everything sounded better