Engl E530 or... - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engl E530 or...

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

I tried a preamp into impulses, (JMP1 and a TriAxis), and it definitely sounds ok. But it's not as cool as capturing the power amp, and I don't think it's really any better than using a VST. I'd save your money if it's just for recording.

The TSE version of this is pretty cool (X30), if you haven't tried it. I did a cover of Soilwork's Like The Average Stalker with it, and thought it had plenty of gain and tightness with a boost in front.

I know the Engls have tons of Gain but sometimes I read that they dont have the "Modern Metal" tone... and found it weird.

I saw two for sale between 200-300 euros and then hit me that how different can they be from nowadays Distortion Pedals, thats why I asked here And note if purchased that I would only be using it with IRs and no other Physical Power Amp.

I know that VST Cassidy, tks for the opinion and suggestion. All Gear I acquire is really to simply play in (exact sense of the word) at home, nothing serious just a way to help me pass time.

I dont need some of what I already have but its cool to have, the Engl was because it reminded me more on having real Gear instead of Virtual one.

I appreciate all the replies and even the Mesa suggestion. Every time I hear Petrucci demoing the Mesa I go crazy on the Tone

Fwiw, it has tubes and zero latency so in my mind that's already a heads and shoulders step up over a VST amp, plus you get the built-in 1w Poweramp so for just bedroom jamming it's got a bit of everything.
    Spoiler

Well.. I sent a message to one of the sellers last night before going to bed

Regarding latency. I gotta say I dont notice it and never did since I got into this VST thing... either my brain compensates for it and I dont perceive it or I dont know, but I really cant complain about it. Even playing in an old Solid State Combo 2 years ago and then my VSts the response time felt exactly the same and I have an already 3+ year old Laptop. I use the VSt as an Amp and dont really do tracking etc, maybe thats why I dont perceive it but reality is I dont and it feels exactly the same as going to a store and trying other amps... in fact I even prefer my VST sound to the any modeling Amps I try at stores

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Get the VST version

https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_u530

Best amp sim out there.

ME: Stuff
    MB: More Stuff
    Rig: Extra Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by TheKindred View Post
    Fwiw, it has tubes and zero latency so in my mind that's already a heads and shoulders step up over a VST amp, plus you get the built-in 1w Poweramp so for just bedroom jamming it's got a bit of everything.
    Latency hasn't been an issue since the the mid 90s, Hackerman! But that is cool that it has a power amp built in.

I know you can get latency down to next-to-nil but it still affects the feel for me. When you're used to the real thing, even 5-7ms just seems different to me. I've played some rad sounding VST sims but there's​ just always that slight niggle that it's not quite right (in feel, not tone). Note that's just for virtual gear, not hardware modellers and the like.

Plus i just like having the actual pots and buttons to fiddle with

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

There's no latency really anymore. I run a 7 year old input board that only connects by USB 1.1, and I have no latency on input-monitored VSTs unless my mastering suite is active.