Engl E530 or...

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engl E530 or...

Engl E530 or...

Just a curious question.

I keep seeing these Engls Pre Amps for sale and they arent that expensive either, heck most of them cost the same used as a MXR 5150 or the BE OD Pedal... So lets say I would like to have one and simply connect it to IRs and Speaker or Phones (No Cab of any kind). Just to leave the Digital VST for a while.

Im tempted to get one mainly because they are Valve Pres and because they look cool

What do they bring more than buying a 5150 Pedal or any of its variants (BE OD, Pinnacle etc)? Keep reading they dont have a "Modern Gain"... but these are Engls... I mean lack of Gain is not something they are know for.

Tone wise I like to dabble in old VH and then of course I also like the massive Distortion and that 90s Mid scooped sound. I tried a AMT D2 last year of a friend, it was massive but not really that different than what I can get with VSTs to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by mpexus View Post
    I keep seeing these Engls Pre Amps for sale and they arent that expensive either, heck most of them cost the same used as a MXR 5150 or the BE OD Pedal...
    Jeez, that's like 1/3 of what I see them going for over in the states

250-300 Euros is what seems the normal used price and even then some are for sale for months in a row.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

I've hardly seen any going used in the UK. But new they are about 350-400 I think.

Ive not played one but they seem pretty versatile and have a 1 watt ss power amp builthe in for driving a cab at bedroom volumes which is an awesome idea
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

Im sure there are folk on here who own or have owned these and I cant remember anything but good feedback on them other than they maybe dont quite achieve high gain modern metal tones without an OD in front.

I've still got 2 of them and and E520. Honestly, I've never ran into the "not enough gain" issue with them and i've found them to be a really solid little workhorse of a pre. I think the most i ever paid for one was around $250-300 USD. Both mine are paired with gsp1101; one is mounted in my TV entertainment stand and going to Yamaha HS-8 for out put and the other is in a portable rack case to a velocity300 poweramp. Haven't used the 1w built in Poweramp much but i've tested it out and it's certainly useable. I will say that i generally have the bass dimed on them for the gain channel to get the metal chunk. Clean channel is also quite serviceable as you would expect from ENGL.

Side note, the e520 is pretty fun too. It's got a lot more knobs and buttons for the tweaking and is voiced much more with an 80's flavour and tonnes of gain.
    Spoiler

ME: Caparison/Maverick
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Having looked into these in the past, a lack of gain is definitely NOT an issue with them (check out the clips on youtube for christ's sake). So, not a bad option. Also consider a Marshall JMP-1, they're decent units as well.
    I'm so metal I shit bats

My band > SPINE OF GLASS

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

I also picked up a mesa boogie studio preamp about 2 years ago for just over 300 so don't rule those out if you like the IIC+ tone. And definitely have enough gain.