NCD Mesa 4x12 - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NCD Mesa 4x12

ME: ESP Eclipse
    Rig: Mesa Dual Rectifier 2ch

So how dose the 2x12 rectocab match up to the oversize 4x12? Is there much of a differance in tone?
    I originally wanted the 2x12 to run my recto on 50 watts. But this one poped up for cheap, and I figured I could always sell it to get the 2x12

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    So, should I find an OS or standard? I sometimes see Stiletto cabs going up for sale, and RK cabs.
    I agree with Matt. Mine is the OS. It's such a huge sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmardigan View Post
    So how dose the 2x12 rectocab match up to the oversize 4x12? Is there much of a differance in tone?
    I originally wanted the 2x12 to run my recto on 50 watts. But this one poped up for cheap, and I figured I could always sell it to get the 2x12
    The Mesa 2x12 is still really great with solid construction, but it's not the same as a 4x12. I used to know a guy that had 2 Mesa 2x12s and he loved them in his Triaxis rig. But they never quite sounded like a 4x12. That's just my opinion.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

yeah I used to have an engl cab and when I think back to how it sounded vs my mesa cab i am pretty angry i didn't just get a mesa to begin with!

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|‹berschall

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    The Mesa 2x12 is still really great with solid construction, but it's not the same as a 4x12. I used to know a guy that had 2 Mesa 2x12s and he loved them in his Triaxis rig. But they never quite sounded like a 4x12. That's just my opinion.
    I had a Mesa 2x12 and 4x12 at the same time. Recorded, with a 57 right on the cone, they sounded identical. In the room, or as backline on stage, the 4x12 is fuller, and more inspiring. I still have the 4x12, the 2x12 is long gone.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
    I had a Mesa 2x12 and 4x12 at the same time. Recorded, with a 57 right on the cone, they sounded identical. In the room, or as backline on stage, the 4x12 is fuller, and more inspiring. I still have the 4x12, the 2x12 is long gone.
    I never recorded them close mic'd next to each other (and getting the exact same positiion is so tricky that I wouldn't have trusted it to be totally scientific) but in the room the 2x12 was significantly mid-ier, whereas the 4x12 was way deeper in the lows and more open in the highs. I've heard that the larger airspace changes the point of speaker excursion and some of the difference should come through in a recording (and unscientifically I'd say that I did hear a little bit of the in-the-room characteristics when close mic'd, but I didn't do a strict A/B), but I can't say for sure how much truth there is to that, over and above a vague anecdotal sense that it matters a little.

In the room, though, I absolutely get why Andy Timmons was gigging with a pair of 2x12s rather than a 4x12, whereas anyone doing metal chugging would prefer the bigger cab.

I still LOVE the look of that head, man, and that's a very fair price for a 4x12.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

My favorite cab from Mesa is the 2x12 vertical. Smaller and more manageable than the 4x12, and very close sound. It's way fuller than the horizontal, IMO.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer. And as a male plus-sized model for mankinis.

ME: ESP Eclipse
    Rig: Mesa Dual Rectifier 2ch

Thanks Drew, I've fallen in love with the oxblood tolex. I'm currently looking into having my new cab retolexed to match!

My buddy just bought the Mesa vertical 2x12. I haven't heard it yet, but he says it's the best sounding cab he's ever played through.
    I'm hoping to borrow it here sometime soon. I might rent a Mesa 2x12 horizontal at the same time. See what I like best before I buy.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    My favorite cab from Mesa is the 2x12 vertical.
    Ah yes, the Undersized Standard