[HELP] I have some money to spend... ON MY FIRST PEDALBOARD!

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [HELP] I have some money to spend... ON MY FIRST PEDALBOARD!

[HELP] I have some money to spend... ON MY FIRST PEDALBOARD!

Hey guys!

So, In getting my FIRST "basic pedalboard"? What do I need? I'm thinking of a tuner, a boost (?) for leads and accenting certain parts of my punk-stoner-doom-ish riffs...

A Can of Worms, I know... Where should I start?

I play mostly the dirty channel (B) of my Orange Thunderverb 50, which I'm pretty happy with, sometimes running both de A and B channels dirty... I'm happy with the amount of gain and "the tone" I get from the "amp alone". I just need a "boost" (?) to highlight certain parts. ""Tighten" it a bit? A "distortion/overdrive/fuzz" boost? A "clean boost"?

Also interested in some kind of modulation effects to add "texture and flavour" to the clean (?) parts. A Phaser!! A Delay!!! And a Chorus!

I guess to keep the maximum total costs at about $500, maybe a little more, I need to go and get "used". No problem! I'm also getting a Wah!

Also, please include your tips on the needed "compact pedalboard" itself, power supply and patch cables. The whole works! This will be gigged! Portability, reliability and sturdiness is a must!

Let's keep this simple and LEAN, but top-notch quality.

Please post you favorite recommendations ands state brand/model. I'll take the research from there.

Any help and thoughts welcomed. Thanks in advance!

ME: ESP Ltd EC401 FR w/J
    Rig: Bugera 333XL

Quote Originally Posted by dflipp View Post
    Hey guys!

So, In getting my FIRST "basic pedalboard"? What do I need? I'm thinking of a tuner, a boost (?) for leads and accenting certain parts of my punk-stoner-doom-ish riffs...

A Can of Worms, I know... Where should I start?

I play mostly the dirty channel (B) of my Orange Thunderverb 50, which I'm pretty happy with, sometimes running both de A and B channels dirty... I'm happy with the amount of gain and "the tone" I get from the "amp alone". I just need a "boost" (?) to highlight certain parts. ""Tighten" it a bit? A "distortion/overdrive/fuzz" boost? A "clean boost"?

Also interested in some kind of modulation effects to add "texture and flavour" to the clean (?) parts. A Phaser!! A Delay!!! And a Chorus!

I guess to keep the maximum total costs at about $500, maybe a little more, I need to go and get "used". No problem! I'm also getting a Wah!

Also, please include your tips on the needed "compact pedalboard" itself, power supply and patch cables. The whole works! This will be gigged! Portability, reliability and sturdiness is a must!

Let's keep this simple and LEAN, but top-notch quality.

Please post you favorite recommendations ands state brand/model. I'll take the research from there.

Any help and thoughts welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Definitely start with a boost. A maxon od808 or Ibanez TS9 would be just fine and you can find plenty for cheap on the used market. A chorus is great for clean and even dirty parts. Since Ive only used one my entire life (boss ce-3), its hard for me to recommend you a pedal. However, I have been eying the CE-2 reissue. A delay can add some layering and is awesome for leads. Im quite happy with my MXR carbon copy.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Std
    Rig: Orange OR120

As you stated it: Tuner is where to start. It's the least "fun" pedal, but the most important one. Boss TU2 or TU3 rule. I stil

After that:

.) Booster / Overdrive - that's a discussion on it's own, i'll leave that to the rest of the thread (that WILL come ).

.) Wah - I for myself settled with a Crybaby 95Q (i still have to google the number every time). The auto-on/off (pedal engages when foot is placed on it; auto-off when you remove your foot) was a must for me, and it's super flexible with the Q control, something the others were missing.

.) Delay/Reverb:
    I can't stress enough how awesome the Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master is. It is my go to pedal for every lead, because it makes everything sound a bit more awesome.

.) Modulation:
    - the EHX Small Stone is the coolest Phaser you can get below 100,- bucks. It is limited, but everythign it does is useable. the Boss PH3 for example has a lot of options, but only 2 or 3 settings that can be used in a band setting, and these are hard to find.

- If you are playing clean also, I'd get a Chorus. The Boss CE-5 is a cool pedal, can be bought used very often and will do almost everything.

TC Electronic Polytune mini 2, Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808, MXR Phase 90, EXH Small Clone, Boss NS-2/Decimator, TC Electronic Flashback, TC Electronic Hall of Fame.

Power I like: MXR DC Brick, T Rex Fuel Tanks, or one of the Voodoo Lab Pedal Powers.
    Patch Cables I like the Mogami Cable or the Lava Cable patch lead kits.

ME: Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Rig: Mesa Lone Star Special

I agree largely with what's been said above.

• Tuner - I'm not sure what brand; my Korg is screwed and it's the only pedalboard tuner I've ever owned. I'll get another one shortly.
    • Drive / Boost - Tube Screamer is really popular... TS9. I use a Keeley Red Dirt Overdrive and a Keeley Katana.
    • Wah - no recommendations. I just bought my first Wah pedal - a Crybaby - and it's a piece of shit... not because it's a crybaby but because it's a used piece of shit and I got hosed.
    • Delay / Reverb - I'm really fond of the MXR Carbon Copy. I use a Boss RV6 for reverb, but you'll get plenty of other great suggestions on reverb including the Hall of Fame.
    • Phase - I'm currently using an MXR Phase 90. It's pretty simple and does what I ask of it.
    • Chorus / Flange - I'm not really familiar with these. I just stepped into this with a Keeley Dyno-My-Roto. It's a chorus, flange, and roto cab combination. I haven't even had the opportunity to really put it through it's paces, yet.

Optional: Fuzz - Fuzzface, Big Muff, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, there's a bunch and you'll have to figure out what sounds good to you. Several companies make a germanium fuzz which folks seem to love - vintage sort of sound and all. I've owned both a Big Muff and a Swollen Pickle. I just fell into a Catalinbread Katzenkonig, which is a combination RAT and Tone Bender - it's the only fuzz on my pedalboard now.

For power, I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. It's been pretty reliable so far, and I bought it used.
    Last edited by Assault Bacon; 04-21-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    All I can ask is that I suck a little less each time I pick up my guitar...

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Yep, lots of good advice so far! If I had to start from scratch, and needed to keep it simple, this is what I'd build...

1) Board - Pedaltrain. Lots of great options on sizes, and super rock solid. Just don't settle for the crappy carry-bag!
    2) Power - TrueTone CS7. I've got the CS12, and it's pretty awesome.
    3) Cables - Hosa pancake style. I've used George L's and several others, but the Hosa's are inexpensive and very solid. And they fit great.
    4) Pedals...
    -- Tuner - TC Polytune. I'm using the tuner on my wireless unit right now, but the Polytune was awesome.
    -- Phaser - MXR Phase 90. On slow speed, it's like a chorus, and at high speed, it's like you're playing underwater. In between, it's just fun!
    -- Overdrive - EHX SoulFood. Very smooth, but can get more extreme if you dial it up.
    -- Wah - Morley. I'm a big fan of switchless wah's, so I tend to gravitate towards Morley. Not the most classic of sounds, but certainly usable for the few times I use it.
    -- Reverb - EQD Dispatch Master. A seriously versatile pedal, well worth the price they fetch (priciest of what I've listed).
    5) Case - Mono. After my Pedaltrain bag blew-out, I replaced it with a (pricey) Mono bag, but it seems to protect things just fine, and is pretty lightweight.

Granted, this pedalboard I've laid out might run you close to $700 or so if you're buying everything new, but it's what I'd put together if I needed to

Hey guys! You are awesome. Exactly the kind of info I was hoping I could get. Thanks everyone who contributed.

So, after reading your replies and some more info online, I'm currently with this "working version" list:

[Tuner] TC Electronic Polytune 2 Mini. The 3 was just announced. I guess the 2 is good enough for me. Used by professionals for the last couple of years... And a good chance to score a bargain as there will probably be a ton of people selling for a "3 upgrade". I hope. That's my plan.

[Drive / Boost] EP Booster or Pigtronix Class A Boost (Recommended by Orange) or OD (?) as a boost. Fulltone OCD or the mentioned Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808. I still don't get this right... Can you elaborate more on this?

[Wah] Still undecided about this one. Please post more suggestions. I want mainly a ultra-reliable and awesome sound-quality. Something "basic" but that will last. I keep reading about the Dunlop Zakk Wylde Signature Wah, being an awesome choice. I hate "signature gear" but, what's most important is quality. I could buy one, yeah. The forementioned Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah is another option.

[Delay] MXR Carbon Copy. Great quality people say and "not-too-fancy or boutique". Readily available at your "local guitar shop" and easy to find used online at discount prices

[Phase] Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. Simple and does the work. Great quality people say and "not-too-fancy or boutique". Readily available at your "local guitar shop" and easy to find used online at discount prices. Another option is the MXR Phase 90.

[Chorus] Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. Simple and does the work. Great quality people say and "not-too-fancy or boutique". Readily available at your "local guitar shop" and easy to find used online at discount prices. Other options?

[Power] Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.

[Pedalboard] I'm thinking of going "Custom", bought locally: Mr. Ron FX – Custom Flightcases & Pedalboards

What do you guys think? Keep you thoughts and ideas coming. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by dflipp; Today at 01:12 AM.

ME: ESP Ltd EC401 FR w/J
    Rig: Bugera 333XL

Quote Originally Posted by dflipp View Post

[Drive / Boost] EP Booster or Pigtronix Class A Boost (Recommended by Orange) or OD (?) as a boost. Fulltone OCD or the mentioned Ibanez TS9/Maxon OD808. I still don't get this right... Can you elaborate more on this?
    I would go the OD as a boost. Going that route can give you more options later on like if you want to use an overdrive for other applications like using it on a clean channel to get bluesy like breakup/tones. I cant speak for the Fulltone (although i hear good things) but when it comes to something like an Ibanez TS9, its like a defacto standard. And you can find them cheap for like $60 used all day long. I have the Maxon and its great but ive never heard anybody say a bad thing about the Ibanez so its always a safe bet that doesn't break the bank. If you have a guitar center near you, you can buy the fulltone and tubscreamer there and bring them home to test on your rig and return whatever you dont like. I have also seen some stores carry the maxon now as well.