Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spent an hour with a Helix today

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

Spent an hour with a Helix today

Bored to tears here in Cleveland, I spent some time with a Helix today. Went through the various patches, which btw were abnormally decent for Line 6 stock patches. I had my trusty Sennheiser HD380's with me, for comparison's sake.

It definitely is a step up from the POD HD stuff, even with stock IR's. The higher gain models were less fizzy than the older stuff is/was, and the lower gain stuff was pretty decent. However, I still struggle to say "yeah, this is a $1500 piece". That's a lot of money for something that quite honestly is on par with BIAS Amp or S-Gear, plugins that cost 10% of this thing. In fact, IMO S-Gear, while severely limited in comparison, is still much better for amp tones.

I also played a Friedman Runt 20. This. Thing. Rips. It is a little fucking beast of an amp, with a surprisingly good clean channel, and a fucking fantastic gain channel. Really impressed, and for the $1099 on sale, it's a helluva little amp. IMO, it slays the most comparable Marshall, the Mini Jubilee.

That's all. Just thought I'd follow up the many Helix jousting posts with an honest opinion.

Did it blow the nuts off of the Axe-FX?

ME: Custom Tele
    MA: Guild GAD F150
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass 24 V
    Rig: Jet City JCA-22H

I have been checking one out for a couple weeks and its pretty good.

I finally figured out what I don't like about modelers tho. I dont like the jarring shift of amp character. I like that most multi channel amps, the general character of the sound is consistent thru the channels. On a modeler you have a Fender blackface clean and a Marshal or Mesa lead sound and its like WTF just happened to my sound. I dont like it and im not about to use a modeled distortion pedal into a modeled amp. I cant hang.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

Quote Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
    Did it blow the nuts off of the Axe-FX?
    No, definitely not. The amp models aren't even as good as the Atomic, IMO. I think the Axe and the Kemper still rule the roost.

ME: Jackson DK27/DKMG
    MB: Yamaha RBX775
    Rig: Randall V2/Mesa OS 412

One I tried was good. But not $1500 good. Sounded like a improved POD, but still not the most realistic.

I can't help but be curious about why Line 6 cannot model amps as well as other manufacturers. It always seems like they're at the bottom of the (digital) tone totem pole
    Last edited by Frost; 04-21-2017 at 03:16 AM.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

The new Helix model is only $999 btw and has all the same hardware and flexibility.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Interesting comparison Jeff. I keep debating going digital again, and the helix Lt seems like decent value - although modelling is my main concern and id be swayed to the atomic or ax8.

Although the regular helix has a lot of features - 4 loops, relay switching, those scribble strips. It's this features that add to the cost imo and how they justify so high a price.