Mesa has evidently discontinued the Roadster - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mesa has evidently discontinued the Roadster

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

I'm thinking the RK is on its last legs too.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I think it's more that the Road King and Roadster were intended to compete with the 4-channel Diezel amps and be modeller killers. Problem is, I think modellers are killing them. If people go for a head these days it's because they need 2 or 3 sounds tops, and if they need more, they go Fractal or Kemper.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner
    Rig: Budda SD30

Also, I wonder if the market for the "bells and whistles" Rectos has been cannibalized by the Marks. The Roadster and Road King are big, complex, expensive amps that are probably a pain to build and test and don't sell nearly as well as the Mark V or Reborn rectos.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yeah, just confirmed; Roadster is gone, as is M6 and M9 bass amps. Also, Randall Smith won't hear my constant nagging for a 3 channel tube preamp pedal with effects loop, (improved) CabClone, and 5-band GEQ.
    Any insight into why?

Vince - Ch2 is a clone of Ch2, but instead of Clean/Fat/Tweed, it's Clean/Fat/Brit.

Quote Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
    I think it's more that the Road King and Roadster were intended to compete with the 4-channel Diezel amps and be modeller killers. Problem is, I think modellers are killing them. If people go for a head these days it's because they need 2 or 3 sounds tops, and if they need more, they go Fractal or Kemper.
    I suspect this, and the fact that the Mark-V has three channels and a graphic EQ, may be a lot of it. It's less that modelers are doing it better, I think, and more that your typical home recording user who wants a versatile tonal palate to work with is more inclined to also prefer silent recording and the ability to save patches than they are a half stack. Your second point, though - if someone wants a Recto, a Multi-Watt dual that weighs less and costs less, and is both a little more "pure" of a Rectifier and also reputed to be one of the best revisions they've done yet, makes the value proposition tough.

My problem is I LIKE the ways the Roadster's 3rd and 4th channels differ from the 2n and 3rd of a Dual - a little smoother and middier, maybe a little less "dry" in the character of the gain. I always felt like I had trouble finding a sweet spot between thick and sustaining and fully saturated and crunchy/fizzy on the gain channels of a Rectifier, whereas the Roadster seemed like that sweet spot was like half the throw of the gain knob.

EDIT - the other thing I'll add; if I was in the market for a Mesa today and didn't already own one, it would be AWFULLY tough to beat a Rectoverb-25 or Mark-V 35, for the awesome sounding classic Mesa preamp, enough wattage to hang with a drummer, but more apartment-friendly lower-wattage modes, as well. For me my Roadster is a sunk cost; it has far more power than I need, but does still sound incredible at the volumes I play. It doesn't make sense to sell my Roadster to spend as much/more on a smaller amp... But if I was starting from scratch, I'd be very temped by the two smaller amps, as either a head or combo. As it is I kinda want to replace my Tech-21 Trademark 30 with on as a portable "jamming" rig and for guest use, simply because much as I like that Tech 21, the Mesas would just be hands down better amps.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Also, I wonder if the market for the "bells and whistles" Rectos has been cannibalized by the Marks. The Roadster and Road King are big, complex, expensive amps that are probably a pain to build and test and don't sell nearly as well as the Mark V or Reborn rectos.
    I think that's it. Bottom line the Roadster must not be selling and this is a legit reason why. The Road King is still available for now to cover those that want a complex amp. And I bet if you're a touring artist you can call up Randall and he'll still build you a Roadster if that's what you really want.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: RG1527, RG8527Z
    MB: SR706
    Rig: Mesa Boogie Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Vince - Ch2 is a clone of Ch2, but instead of Clean/Fat/Tweed, it's Clean/Fat/Brit.
    It's also got a bit more output than Channel 1, but it's essentially the same in all other ways (other than, as you said, Tweed being switched out for Brit). So, even though both Channel 1 and Channel 2 have "Fat" channels, I prefer Channel 2 on "Fat" over Channel 1 on "Fat".

As a result, I have my amp set up with Channel 1 on "Tweed" and Channel 2 on "Fat."

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Any insight into why?
    Not yet, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
    I think that's it. Bottom line the Roadster must not be selling and this is a legit reason why. The Road King is still available for now to cover those that want a complex amp. And I bet if you're a touring artist you can call up Randall and he'll still build you a Roadster if that's what you really want.
    Better get one, if you want it. Like, right now.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer. And as a male plus-sized model for mankinis.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Yeah, no. My gear budget is zero, I buy guitars for my kid now.