Valvestate / Mesa - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valvestate / Mesa

ME: Jackson US SL2H REV
    MA: Larivee
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: JVM 210 / EVH 50 W

didn't Dime play a solid state Randall like the whole span of Pantera's existence?

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

Yeah. In the damage plan days he was using a kranknstein which I think had tubes. And I read somewhere he uses to use a Marshall jubilee for leads and Randall's for rhythm .

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Nice. As Adam said, a boosted VS sounds great through a good cab, we both have experience with my old VS100.
    I'm so metal I shit bats

My band > SPINE OF GLASS

ME: RG927, RG7620
    Rig: Triple Recto, Mesa 2x12

Way back in the day (mid 90's) the guitarist of a local band we used to play shows with had a Valvestate head. His tone was great. Worked perfectly for their style (very Clutch-esque).

And much props on that cab. I have the same one. Vertical 2x12 mesa sound huge for only 2 speakers, and the tone is fantastic.

ME: Jackson US SL2H REV
    MA: Larivee
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: JVM 210 / EVH 50 W

https://youtu.be/v-DFwOVew7Q

My band in 1996.... used a Valvestate 8100 head, usually the full stack of the matching cabs..(although I think at this show it's through a 4x12 1960) .... DOD 10 band into the front end as a boost and eq and then that Ibanez V with an 81 in the bridge.

This is just a camcorder video so it doesn't do it justice but I had wicked tone back then... especially in light of some of the other stuff people were playing at the time

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    True. I do wonder how much of that is also tube snobbery and what buyers perceive to be good value for money - some dudes would never pay the same for ss as they would for tube as its perceived to be inferior tech
    For heavily saturated high gain these things are great, and I do agree that a good solid state head can be pretty competitive with tube stuff (especially now that poweramp headroom matters more than poweramp sag/compression for metal). For lower gain stuff, for the most part I've been less impressed, but the Valvestate heads were very popular in the death metal world for a reason.

I'm a little surprised though, that the "hybrid" amp design that caught on was a tube front end with most of the distortion provided by solid state clipping, and not a solid state front end with a tube poweramp. Marshall did that for a while too and I hear they were really pretty good sounding amps.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'm a little surprised though, that the "hybrid" amp design that caught on was a tube front end with most of the distortion provided by solid state clipping, and not a solid state front end with a tube poweramp. Marshall did that for a while too and I hear they were really pretty good sounding amps.
    That's kinda what I've got going on, my JMP-1 is mostly solid state, then I've got the VHT for valve power. It's a great combination.

For Metal specifically, solid state/hybrid stuff can kill. It does not rely on power stage clipping and sometimes tube section sag, etc, is a liability. As long as the power section can deliver the needed low end+headroom and the preamp gain is well implemented, you are good to go. Marshall's SS stuff is generally pretty good at the high gain one trick pony thing; but they get no love because most guitar players demand to be stuck in 1968 from a technology stand point.
    Last edited by zenaxe; 05-16-2017 at 05:08 PM.