Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Boss MS-3 - this is cool

ME: Ibanez RGs
    MA: Cordoba Custom Flamenco
    MB: Ibanez SRs
    Rig: XXX / 5153m

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post

The loop order change the unique selling point for the Boss ES units. Admittedly I can't imagine myself using these at optimum in a live setting (who else other than that 1 guy from The Dead Kennedys uses time effects AFTER distortion?) but it's definitely a cool feature if you have a few drives and multi modulators like multiple H9s or a Mobius.
    Huh? I don't know a ton of people who DON'T use time-based effects after distortion. That's the whole point of an effects loop. Reverb and delay in particular sound like ass before significant gain.
    Bloody hell I'm stupid. I meant time effects BEFORE distortion. A short list of guitarists who do the opposite is pretty much all of them.

Sorry for the brain fart.
    Last edited by Bloody_Inferno; 06-06-2017 at 02:34 AM.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

I was like "aw man what?!"

ME: S7420
    MB: 'Ray
    Rig: Ironheart

It takes big sweaty EVH balls to use delay before distortion.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I've used delay before amp distortion, it can create some beautifully chaotic noise. Also delay before a mid-gain amp can be awesome as the repeats clean up.

The advantage of the ES-5/8 is that you can have one patch with the effects in ridiculous order simply to create noise and then switch to something clean and nice sounding with the effects in a more normal layout with a single button press.

ME: Schecter Guitars
    MB: N/A
    Rig: Peavey

Received mine over the weekend. Found this forum via my research into this after the first announcement, so thought best to join and include my two cents.

First impressions.

UI is easy to navigate.

Build is VERY solid. Very confident having this on stage.

Loop 1 to 3 are in a fixed position. Whilst you can have any number of the 6 effects before or after, you can not have effects inbetween. Boss have stated that they believe most users will want to use Overdrive/Fuzz/distortion pedals here, as users generally have extremely personal preferences with their OD and truth be told, the in built effects are extremely high quality anyway.

You can have the remaining 6 effects blocks in any order you want, before or after the loops.

The 4CM is extremely easy to do, you simply use loop 3. I spent the weekend using the 4CM with a Peavey 6505MH and Classic 20w head.

Overall I am extremely happy with this. The pre sets are nice for providing ideas and general 'this is how to get this sound' tips and guidance.

I'm going to be using it in 'manual mode' which will allow me to assign effect parameters to the footswitch pedals. I set up a nice lead delay/reverb which is assigned to FS2. You can also assign CNTRL 1/2 to a footswitch also, so I'll be using it for channel switching once my TRS cable arrives for the 4CM snake I'm building.

Previous to this I had a Hotone board setup for ease of travel/touring. This is actually smaller. Very happy.

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: ROV25+V:35->Mesa Cabs

Quote Originally Posted by xCaptainx View Post
    Received mine over the weekend. Found this forum via my research into this after the first announcement, so thought best to join and include my two cents.

First impressions.

UI is easy to navigate.

Build is VERY solid. Very confident having this on stage.

Loop 1 to 3 are in a fixed position. Whilst you can have any number of the 6 effects before or after, you can not have effects inbetween. Boss have stated that they believe most users will want to use Overdrive/Fuzz/distortion pedals here, as users generally have extremely personal preferences with their OD and truth be told, the in built effects are extremely high quality anyway.

You can have the remaining 6 effects blocks in any order you want, before or after the loops.

The 4CM is extremely easy to do, you simply use loop 3. I spent the weekend using the 4CM with a Peavey 6505MH and Classic 20w head.

Overall I am extremely happy with this. The pre sets are nice for providing ideas and general 'this is how to get this sound' tips and guidance.

I'm going to be using it in 'manual mode' which will allow me to assign effect parameters to the footswitch pedals. I set up a nice lead delay/reverb which is assigned to FS2. You can also assign CNTRL 1/2 to a footswitch also, so I'll be using it for channel switching once my TRS cable arrives for the 4CM snake I'm building.

Previous to this I had a Hotone board setup for ease of travel/touring. This is actually smaller. Very happy.

Very cool, and welcome!

Good to hear that the 4CM works well too. That makes it pretty handy, if you want to run a couple OD's and the amp through it.
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer. And as a male plus-sized model for mankinis.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Welcome, and solid review!