Line 6 HD500(x) v Recto

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line 6 HD500(x) v Recto

ME: Ibanez 540S & S540
    MB: Ibanez SG200
    Rig: Blackstar Core 40

Line 6 HD500(x) v Recto

Anyone know of any links to comparisons between the Line 6 HD500 or 500x emulating a Mesa Boogie ~vs~ the actual Mesa Boogie? Preferably the same player, guitar, FX, etc.

Hoping to finally have the funds to pull this trigger soon and want to make sure the HD is what I want. I dig how it emulates the Marshall JCM800 and the Soldano, just haven't found a solid comp to the Mesa.
    Tone Chasers Anonymous ô - Iím not just a member, Iím the President.
    Donít expect much, itís not like Iím a rocket surgeon.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

This probably isn't worth investing any time in tbh. Listen to clipsbod the hd500x if you like what you hear get it. Modelers are not going to truly emulate the feel of a tube head but They can deliver aw3some recorded tones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This probably isn't worth investing any time in tbh. Listen to clipsbod the hd500x if you like what you hear get it. Modelers are not going to truly emulate the feel of a tube head but They can deliver aw3some recorded tones.
    I'd love to have an actual tube head and stack again, but it's just not feasible for a variety of reasons. I've researched the variety of sub $500 modelers to death and think the HD500 or 500x is what I want, but figured while I'm waiting for a check to come in that will fund it, I might as well keep researching. LOL. Plus I dig watching talented metal guitar players review stuff.

ME: RG 1550
    MA: ROFL
    MB: Dafuq?!
    Rig: Mesa Mark IV, Recto 2x12

I think the eleven rack is meant to do a better recto and can be had for less these days.
    I DOEN A BAD MURDA.

ME: Suhr M5
    MB: Squire Jazz
    Rig: VHT Pittbull + Axe FX II

I wouldn't worry about how they compare to the amps they are modelling mate. The sound you create with them is what matters

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Spector NS2B
    Rig: Triple Recto/Torpedo Live

I remember the Recto Preamp sounding pretty good in the HD500, albeit very dark. The Recto amp sim sounded way too scooped for my taste and seemed unusable. And much like a true Recto, if you cranked the master too high, it got more midrangey but became a muddy mess. Wish I had my POD HD500 so I could do a comparison. I'm going solely by memory.

ME: Schecter Avenger 7
    Rig: HD500/KRKs

I've been using my old HD500 and have a patch that's basically one side Recto/one side Uberschall and get some good results out of that. Not as good sounding as my old Recto but it sounds decent in a mix and jamming along with tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
    I think the eleven rack is meant to do a better recto and can be had for less these days.
    Thanks, I'll research that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I wouldn't worry about how they compare to the amps they are modelling mate. The sound you create with them is what matters
    Absolutely, but want to know where I'm starting from. I'm not out to sound like (insert guitar player name) and have my own 'sound in my head', just want to make sure I can get there from here if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I remember the Recto Preamp sounding pretty good in the HD500, albeit very dark. The Recto amp sim sounded way too scooped for my taste and seemed unusable. And much like a true Recto, if you cranked the master too high, it got more midrangey but became a muddy mess. Wish I had my POD HD500 so I could do a comparison. I'm going solely by memory.
    Thanks for the info, whether it's from memory or not. I've heard the factory preset tones are kinda craptacular, but know there are folks out there that have allegedly tweaked em enough to mimic a Recto pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by HamBungler View Post
    I've been using my old HD500 and have a patch that's basically one side Recto/one side Uberschall and get some good results out of that. Not as good sounding as my old Recto but it sounds decent in a mix and jamming along with tunes.
    Cool. Saw one of my buddies perform a few weeks back and he uses an HD500. He had a Recto in front of either the Engl or Soldano (can't remember which) and had a really rich, deep HG tone that I loved. Granted he was playing a PRS so I don't know for a fact I could have equally ear-pleasing results with my Sabers, but it got me pretty jazzed up to try.