Looking for tips to dial in triple rectifier - Page 2

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for tips to dial in triple rectifier

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Rule #1 for dialing in a Mesa: RTFM. The manual is actually very useful, since it does a good job explaining how a) all the EQ controls effect one another, and b) how the usable range of the pots change depending on mode. As others have said, Triples make a ton of bass, so in modern mode, you want to roll it back to 9:00-10:00. If you've got the gain about 1:00, you're just making fizz. Don't scoop the mids, either, since that is where all the body is coming from; it's more low-mid in modern mode, and it's how you fatten up your sound without it getting boomy. Similar to Marshalls, the treble acts as the second gain knob, so I prefer to use the presence knob to get my attack and the treble knob for saturation.

The trick to Recto cleans is to roll the mid knob almost all the way off. It thins out the sound and gives you that more Fenderesque bell-like clean.
    Noodles
    Division: American Metal without the suck.
    kxksales@gmail.com

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Well, first order of business is if you have to be running it at the proper volume.

What are your specific complaints with the tone you have going?

Do you have the matching 412 OS? That's the cab the Triple sounds best with IMO. I don't really like the 412 OS on a lot of other amps, but it really works on the Triple.

ME: Jackson AT Pro
    Rig: Rivera K Tre

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I find with my TR, anything above 11:00 turns into mush.
    That's not unique to the Triple, that's approximately the point on the vast majority of amps where you are no longer adding volume, only saturation, compression, etc.

ME: Prestige RG2610
    MA: RG550 / RG770DX
    Rig: Randall / Crate

I've achieved most tighter sounds out of a Triple Rectifier with the Orange channel and not the Red.

Make no mistake, the Red is my favourite because I EQ it like crazy and I love the thick fuzzy mess I get. But it's not the tightest or most cutting.

Which channel do you use? What pickups do you use? What cab and what speakers? It all makes a big difference according to my experience with the Triple Rectifier.
    NUKE MTL

ME: PRS SEs
    MB: Spector NS2B
    Rig: Triple Recto/Torpedo Live

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    The other thing here is what do you consider a "lot" of gain? Depending on your pickups, anything past say 2-3 o'clock may mostly be unusable in Vintage or Modern.
    Yup. If I wanna add more gain past 12 - 1:00, I kick on a boost.

ME: EBMM JP6
    Rig: Unholy Trinity/5153

Many questions to answer.....

Cab: 2x12 EVH with V30s

Guitar: JP6 with JP's original set of PUPs (pre liquefier etc name escapes me at the moment)

Channel: been experimenting with all three

Feedback: Wow rolling back the mids on the clean channel was an unexpected pleasure. I think this amp is interesting in that intuitively you'd think rolling back bass or mids down to almost nothing would be a bad thing.

Oh someone asked me what volume I was using.... again an interesting feature about this amp is that when I change channels and settings I have to tweak the master volume because there's a point where it sounds terrible to awesome. If too quiet it just sounds like shit. But nudge up the volume and it is glorious.

I took the advice and cranked the balance on the OD808 to max and that had a really nice effect (prior to that I was using

0 overdrive, 12 tone and 12 balance)..... by changing balance to max and using some of the other tips channel 2 and 3 sound much tighter. The E string tuned down to D no longer sounds like a loose floppy string but a tight percussive sound.

I also took the advice of toning back the gain. Even at 9:00 it sounds pretty sweet..... unboosted.

I will have to see if I can print out a copy of the manual. Since this is used I don't have one.

I'll have to go back and re read all the great comments and questions as I am not sure if I touched on all of it. But even with using some of the tips it is sounding much better.

One word that has my curiousity peaked is SIZZLING. in the context of the TR what kind of tone would qualify as that?

Grind in general makes more sense to me with the second and third channel but sizzling I am not sure.

Speaking of tone words I see what someone meant by that the clean tones have a warmth to them but rolling back bass and mids definitely got me closer to what I consider Fenderish but not Fender cleans.

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

Re: volume taking the amp from bad to good - that is a characteristic of most tube amps. Keep that in mind when you try some out

ME: Prestige RG2610
    MA: RG550 / RG770DX
    Rig: Randall / Crate

Quote Originally Posted by frankcastle View Post

Cab: 2x12 EVH with V30s

Guitar: JP6 with JP's original set of PUPs (pre liquefier etc name escapes me at the moment)

Channel: been experimenting with all three
    The Triple Rec is a naturally bassy amp, which is one of the reasons why it's not the easiest amp to dial in. So in any case, a boost is definitely a plus and especially if you boost up the mids upfront (tone knob) and volume or balance.

In my experience V30 are very tight as long as you keep the bass down, they do a good job at being loud and providing extra cutting mids but you have to deal with the bass, same with gain; the V30 provides a nice breakup but too much gain and it will mush up, I find they just don't have a lot of headroom.

So you got a Crunchlab in the bridge? It's a tight pickup if used with the right settings but it's heavy on the bass and doesn't have a lot of accent on the mids, and especially not in a basswood guitar. Plus the amp itself is bassy so definitely keep the bass down once again.

As far as channels go, what are the settings you've found most useful for distortion on the Red and Orange? Curious to see where you're at, seems like you're getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by frankcastle View Post

One word that has my curiousity peaked is SIZZLING. in the context of the TR what kind of tone would qualify as that?

Grind in general makes more sense to me with the second and third channel but sizzling I am not sure.
    In my experience, once again, the "sizzle" of the Triple Rectifier comes alive especially on the Red channel with a higher Treble and Presence setting and a decent amount of gain. Where a lot of amps will start sounding buzzy, the Rectos will have more of a sizzling sparkle.