Looking for tips to dial in triple rectifier - Page 3

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for tips to dial in triple rectifier

ME: EBMM JP6
    Rig: Unholy Trinity/5153

Quote Originally Posted by Divebombs View Post
    The Triple Rec is a naturally bassy amp, which is one of the reasons why it's not the easiest amp to dial in. So in any case, a boost is definitely a plus and especially if you boost up the mids upfront (tone knob) and volume or balance.

In my experience V30 are very tight as long as you keep the bass down, they do a good job at being loud and providing extra cutting mids but you have to deal with the bass, same with gain; the V30 provides a nice breakup but too much gain and it will mush up, I find they just don't have a lot of headroom.

So you got a Crunchlab in the bridge? It's a tight pickup if used with the right settings but it's heavy on the bass and doesn't have a lot of accent on the mids, and especially not in a basswood guitar. Plus the amp itself is bassy so definitely keep the bass down once again.

As far as channels go, what are the settings you've found most useful for distortion on the Red and Orange? Curious to see where you're at, seems like you're getting close.

In my experience, once again, the "sizzle" of the Triple Rectifier comes alive especially on the Red channel with a higher Treble and Presence setting and a decent amount of gain. Where a lot of amps will start sounding buzzy, the Rectos will have more of a sizzling sparkle.
    Okay so I am so stupid I forgot about the spongey and bold switch in the back of the amp. Bold makes a difference.

Tube rectifier vs diode..... thoughts?

On the orange channel

I have Presence 12 to 3.... Volume just above the edge necessary to sound full.... Gain 9.... Bass and Mids 0.... treble 12 to 3... switch is on bottom setting.... modern? I think

Guitar tone knob max..... volume knob 7 to 10/10

Maxon OD808 Overdrive 0, tone 12, balance max

Trying similar settings on red channel is not giving me a huge difference.... should I do something different if moving up to red?

Oh I think my pickups are Air Norton inspired neck and D-Sonic bridge I think those are the pickups frior to Liquifire and Crunchlab in the JP6... it's an older one.

One other stupid question...... do you guys choke up when palm muting? i.e. move hand further away from bridge than I might normally have my hand? I'm wondering if some of the boom/looseness is actually the low E string still vibrating because I am not doing a full palm mute.

It is definitely sounding better

ME: 02 NAMM Jackson RR
    MA: Takamine 12
    MB: Spector Euro 5
    Rig: SLO|Road King|Überschall

Diode rectifier is much more aggressive than tube. Tighter in the bottom end, too.

ME: USA Jacksons
    Rig: Engl SE EL34

The Silicon Diode setting will give you a much tighter bottom end... skip the tube recto setting... it useless for what you are after (I never use it). Try the bass and mids at 9:00... no higher. Mids at 0 might sound cool, but you are loosing out on some frequencies that will fill out your tone more.

The orange and red channels in modern mode are the same, except for the value/sweep range of the presence pot. Try setting the treble and presence on the 3rd channel (red) modern mode to 3-4:00pm and see if that helps at all.

Technique... yeah that has a lot to do with it as well... but that's whole other barrel of monkeys.

Oh... a good eq pedal like the Mesa 5-band in the loop with the classic scooped "V" shape will work wonders as well. If you're still not 100% happy... try an eq pedal in the loop.

ME: Prestige RG2610
    MA: RG550 / RG770DX
    Rig: Randall / Crate

Quote Originally Posted by frankcastle View Post
    Okay so I am so stupid I forgot about the spongey and bold switch in the back of the amp. Bold makes a difference.

Tube rectifier vs diode..... thoughts?

On the orange channel

I have Presence 12 to 3.... Volume just above the edge necessary to sound full.... Gain 9.... Bass and Mids 0.... treble 12 to 3... switch is on bottom setting.... modern? I think

Guitar tone knob max..... volume knob 7 to 10/10

Maxon OD808 Overdrive 0, tone 12, balance max

Trying similar settings on red channel is not giving me a huge difference.... should I do something different if moving up to red?

Oh I think my pickups are Air Norton inspired neck and D-Sonic bridge I think those are the pickups frior to Liquifire and Crunchlab in the JP6... it's an older one.

One other stupid question...... do you guys choke up when palm muting? i.e. move hand further away from bridge than I might normally have my hand? I'm wondering if some of the boom/looseness is actually the low E string still vibrating because I am not doing a full palm mute.

It is definitely sounding better
    Rectifier vs Diode: Definitely Diode, and also turn on the BOLD switch.

Your settings look right, except I would probably put the Bass and Mids closer to 9 o'clock. The way the EQ works is different than most amps so try different combinations between these two knobs, like bass 8 o'clock and mids 9 o'clock, or the opposite, see how it sounds. Also as Wizard says, the treble and presence can go up a little too.

To be honest the Orange and Red channels are very similar it's true, but what I do when using the Orange as a main rhythm tone: I turn the gain down on the amp, turn mids up a bit, and I set my boost pedal with a little more gain: instead of zero gain I put it up at 9 o'clock and turn the "tone" down to 9 o'clock.

Ah and the D-Sonic... I've tried both and I find the Crunch Lab is a tighter and more suited for metal version of the D-Sonic. The D-Sonic sounds more spread out across the frequencies and looser, and I find the Rectos (like a lot of tube amps) very picky on which pickups you use, the pickup response plays a great role. Either way though if you like the sound now there is no need to worry about that but a Crunch Lab would definitely be tighter and punchier in the lows.

About your technique, well it really depends and some pickups are more responsive to that than others. Typically, palm muting with your hand closer to the bridge (or ON the bridge) will give a more "open" kind of palm muting and will let the strings resonate, it's especially great when you want to give more tone to your palm muting. By putting your hand more on the strings it will "choke" it so the strings will not resonate as much but you will have more "punch" and attack in the lows. So hand on the bridge will sound more like "Chuggg...Chuggg...Chuggg" and hand more on the strings will sound more like "THUD-THUD-THUD".
    NUKE MTL

ME: Prestige RG2610
    MA: RG550 / RG770DX
    Rig: Randall / Crate

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
    Oh... a good eq pedal like the Mesa 5-band in the loop with the classic scooped "V" shape will work wonders as well. If you're still not 100% happy... try an eq pedal in the loop.
    Also that's very true. There are a few EQ settings that can help tighten this amp, you can put it in the loop and sculpt your tone pretty much however you want, and you can also try an EQ up front to change the way you guitar hits the amp (or get one of those newer Maxon with separate mid controls, or my boost of choice: Boss Metalzone, for $20 used it can be worth a try).

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Quote Originally Posted by frankcastle View Post
    Been messing around with the triple rec and I have two questions

1) when using a lot of gain and a D tuned guitar that open D sounds like Thunder but undefined. How do you fix that? Tried Maxon OD808 overdrive 0, tone 12, balance 12.

2) what do you do for a bright chimey clean? Is that possible?
    To answer #1:

Bold, Silicon Diode, and use 6L6 tubes

Presence: 10 o'clock
    Master: 10 o'clock
    Gain: 1 o'clock
    Bass: 9 o'clock
    Middle: Noon
    Treble: 1 o'clock

Run an OD in front with the gain off, the level at 70-100%, and the tone at noon. I suggest a Maxon 808 or a Mesa Grid Slammer, but any good TS will do, some just need to be cranked more than others.

Use the loop, put a gate in the loop. For that matter put a gate after your guitar and before your OD too. They make a Decimator 2-gate pedals just for this.

Run the loop output at 9-10 o'clock (this is as loud as you will ever need to go).

To answer #2: put a compressor in front of it, and run most knobs at noon, with maybe the mids backed off a bit. Make sure it's set to Clean and not Pushed. The clean channel on a triple rules, you should have no problem getting it to sound amazing.

ME: Ibanez RG2550E
    MB: Spector NS2000Q4
    Rig: Dual Rectifier (Reborn)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Run the loop output at 9-10 o'clock (this is as loud as you will ever need to go).
    I always run mine at noon. Isn't that where it's meant to be for making it the same level when the loop is on/off? Then you just adjust the master on each channel to taste.
    www.numbskullaudio.com
    Recording. Mixing. Mastering. Editing. Re-Amping.

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

If that's what works for you.