Before I started slathering the thing in tung oil, I figured I should try to take a crack at photographing the thing close enough and in high enough resolution to really show what I was talking about, with the open grain. So...
The neck heel:
Note the "sparke" from the reflection over the grain, and the hairline sand marks visible in the topography of the neck. This is immediately after I pulled the neck, before I did anything to it.
The heel from the other side. Note the slightly coarser finish on the heel itself where it falls inside the neck pocket, and the absence of a "finish line" where the bare wood gave way to a clear, and changes color/sheen (though, you can see where the body met the neck).
A closeup of the back of the neck. Again, look at the hairline sanding marks (across the grain, no less) and the visible grain.
A closeup of the headstock after I'd removed the first tuning peg (as I'm finishing both sides of the neck). The open grain is clearly visible here.
And, for perspective...
The back of the neck, after I'd done a quick 0000 steel wool rubdown and applied the first coat of tung oil. This is low gloss tung oil, I'd applied it fairly lightly, and it'd dried for maybe 10 minutes, yet already the wood is a notably different color and has more sheen.
Like I said, it's possible that there's a VERY light coat of something on it, but if so it seems to not have fully penatrated the grain and it appears that there was some light sanding done afterwards, if anything was sprayed.
It's tough to say for sure, but my sense is that the neck was unfinished, and not lightly matte finished.
Regardless of if it had finish on it or not, it's definitely going to be better with tung oil.