NGD: You may already know.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: NGD: You may already know.

ME: 1 of 2
    MA: "Smokey"
    Rig: Peavey XXX

NGD: You may already know.

I picked this up Monday morning at the Post Office. I skipped the opening act with the box, but I'll make up for it later.

The first thing I noticed was the smell. Jacksons have a particular smell about them, or rather the cases do. It may not be universal, but I clearly remember that same smell when I had a Jackson back in 1992.

The reason I left the Jackson camp was 2-fold: I won an Ibanez in a guitar competition and loved how it played, and I was tired of having guitars that I needed to mod. I put an edge trem on my last Jackson because their licensed floyds were just garbage to me. Don't even get me started on those awful Kahler-esque locking nuts they used back then.

Anyway, after a fresh whiff of the case, I laid eyes on this beautiful creature:

Pictures really don't do these justice. After I got it down to the studio, I started to give it the once-over. The batteries were dead, and there are a few other issues with it that I'm sorting through, but nothing that really matters.

Big thanks to Kevin for the deal.

The recessed trem on this is dangerous, because this is definitely an Ibanez killer. I won't get rid of them all, but the RG1820XGK may be going up for sale.

Anywho, I got some new batteries and figured out how the sustainer works. What a cool gadget that is. I jammed over an F# Dorian vamp and that's below. Setup was the PC-1 plugged into a Line6 Toneport UX2 with stock tones into Reaper. I used the sustainer on this, and could've held that note all day if I wanted to.

Edit: Here's the vamp

ME: ESP LTD H-207
    MA: Taylor 310
    Rig: Mesa 20/20

That's a sexy fretboard!

Ninja edit: Where do you get your vamps?
    We're all musicians, still searching for our roots.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

I am not a fan of the Dimarzio pickups, but everything else about those guitars are teh sex.

BTW: Pretty much all USA Jacksons are Ibanez killers. Real Floyds > every Ibby trem ever.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

Nice one!

Nice playing, too.

ME: Shermans
    Rig: JCM800/6100

Im gonna go ahead and agree with Noodles on everything above.

I need a 7 string PC-1.

it would have been at the top of my list if it wasnt USA made,this looks just a guitar to rock out with,but with the price tag id be worried to gig with it.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    I am not a fan of the Dimarzio pickups, but everything else about those guitars are teh sex.

BTW: Pretty much all USA Jacksons are Ibanez killers. Real Floyds > every Ibby trem ever.
    I disagree with 100% of this post.

Super 3 FTW.

Edge FTW.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

Holy shit, you mean you actually owned that blue burst with that GORGEOUS fretboard you posted a pic of recently? I just figured it was the sexiest burst you could find.

Did you do the rhythm track too, with this thing? That guitar sounds great. The lead is more saturated than I go for, but still sounds pretty badass, though that sustain just goes from impressive to funny to kind of awkward as it goes on... It's like Family Guy sustain.

Also, hurry up and record more, man, this rules.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace