Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: For Drew: pics of the acoustics

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

For Drew: pics of the acoustics

My Martin D-28:

This guitar is old enough that it still had the Indian rosewood back, sides, and bridge. I'm the original owner, having it bought it brand spankin' new at Veneman's Music in 1996. The top is Sitka spruce, and the fretboard is ebony. The thing is an absolute canon of a guitar, since it was designed to be loud enough to be heard next to a banjo. You can feel the top working underneath your arm, yet it is also incredibly dynamic. If you pull back, the midrange blooms, the treble starts to roll off, and the whole sound warms up. Pick control is an absolute must, and I find myself strumming very lightly when someone else is soloing. I love what the Rosewood does to the sound: it is the wood equivalent of a midrange scoop, making this guitar perfect for driving rhythms.

My Seagull S12:

This was a gift from my father for my 19th birthday, in December of '93, and I carried it all over my college campus. Every single scratch, ding, dent, and scrape was put there lovingly by me through many long jam sessions with friends, ranging from sober to nearly too drunk to play Dylan songs. The headstock was broken on a drive back from UVA in '95, since the heater was broken on my car. It has a cedar top, wild cherry back and sides, a mahogany neck, and rosewood fretboard. You really need to see the back in person to appreciate how "wild" the grain pattern really is--it looks like a friggin' storm system. This guitar is dark for a twelve, knocking some of the excessive jangle off the top end, and it is surprisingly loud. I keep it down a whole step, and capo it to play in standard.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Frankencaster
    MA: Alvarez
    MB: Ibanez Cheapo 9000
    Rig: Chameleon 2000 & 2/90/2

How's that Seagull? I've never played one.
    [Leon] 10:03 pm: She can poop on my chest anyday

ME: LTD EC400AT
    Rig: Classic 50

How do you like the Seagull? I've been looking at those to upgrade my acoustic.

Deja vu

I've gone back an added some comments.

I love that Seagull, which is why it is one of the few guitars that I've kept all these years. They play and sound surprisingly well for the price, and the unique wood choices give them a totally unique sound. For a twelve, you'd be surprised at how lower midrange focused it is, since most twelves have a very forward treble response that makes them a bitch to record and amplify live. I'll wait for Mike's comments on this, but as far as I know, he doesn't have to do much eqing to get it to sound right on gigs. I don't even have a preamp in the thing--just a Fishman piezo under saddle pickup that I installed myself years ago.

ME: Dean Custom Shop RC7
    MA: Taylor USA Baritone 6
    MB: Ibanez SR5005EOL
    Rig: ENGL Invader 150

That Martin is really nice. Have any of you guys ever played a Rainsong? That's the most amazing sounding acoustic I've ever heard. It's kind of made like a Parker, with the carbon fiber everywhere, but it is truly remarkable. If I ever get an acoustic that's the one I want.

That said I always pick up Martins when I'm at GC, real nice

Last edited by zimbloth; 10-23-2008 at 05:17 AM.

ME: CS USA Soloist 7
    MA: Ovation Elite Standard
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rec

Oh yes, my next acoustic will be either a Taylor or a RainSong, depending on my budget. RainSong makes absolutely awesome instruments...

As for Dave's comments, the Seagull's needing EQ depends on the room. We need to get you a preamp for it, since that would make my life easier. It's a good sounding 12, though - I've found all the Seagull/La Petrie guitars to be very nice instruments, and excellent value at their price points.

Man, I want a Rainsong so bad I can taste it. I keep flirting with the idea of selling the Martin to fund one. Then again, I also think about Emerald, since they make sevens, but I'm not made out of money.

Yeah, I really do want a preamp, mainly to knock back the woof in the low end. Who would have thought you'd need to do that to a twelve? I'm just surprised it sounded as good as it did without one, since I was expecting total ass when I plugged it in.

ME: Ibanez S670
    MA: Carvin Cobalt

I played one of those carbon fiber ones recently. I was *really* surprised at how good it sounded. Plus it looks cool.

PS. Those are some awesome guitars, dude.