Best/favorite production 8-string?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best/favorite production 8-string?

ME: Chapman ML-1 Hot Rod
    Rig: Jet City JCA5012C

Best/favorite production 8-string?

So I really want to get an 8-string, but I'm having trouble deciding which one I want to get. What do you guys have and what is your favorite PRODUCTION 8-string? ESP/LTD SC-608B, FM-408? Schecter C-8 Hellraiser? Agile Intrepid? Ibanez RG2228? I want something that feels good, looks good, plays great, sounds crisp defined and tight on the low F# but also still perfect for shredtastic soloing.

ME: KxK customs
    Rig: Verellen Amps

you're asking a lot out of a baritone guitar man. the ltd sc608b sounded better than the rg2228 but i liked the neck on the 2228 more. you'll need big strings to get that f# nice and crisp but it can be done.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

The Intrepid Pro I owned sounded better to me than the 2228 I played, and the string tension and 'feel' was better. The neck was much more comfortable on the 2228, but I didn't really like the sound or 'feel' at all. The 2228 was more 'polished' though, with better setup and fit/finish. If you have normal-sized to larger hands and know what you're doing when setting up a guitar, I'd recommend the Intrepid out of the two, especially since it's half the price.

I haven't played the SC608B, but it's a tossup between that and the Intrepid in the looks department, depending on taste. I think the Intrepid looks way classier and less like a 'metal machine' than the 608, but you may go for the gloss black/archtop/massive inline headstock look over the Intrepid's "hippie sandwich" or "bursted/stained ash" look.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Shermans
    Rig: JCM800/6100

I havent seen a production 8 that worked for me.

ME: KxK Sii-7
    MA: Martin OMC-1E
    MB: Dingwall Combustion
    Rig: Line 6

They all have different things to offer. I like my Intrepid, but at a 28.625" scale, it might not be the best for soloing. It works just fine, but it's not ideal. If you want a better balance between the low and high strings, I'd recommend looking into the Schecter C-8 or the Stephen Carpenter signature 8. One of the shorter scale Intrepids might work well, too.

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

Quote Originally Posted by eelblack2 View Post
    I havent seen a production 8 that worked for me.
    However, with the amount of Sherman's you have and have on order, they are getting pretty damn close to being production guitars.

That said, the only ones I have played are the LTD SC608 and the Agile. Fot the price, the Agile has the LTD beat by a mile! That thing plays awesome! The scale, well, I have huge hands so it works out fine for me.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I've heard a lot of reviews of the Schecter saying it feels very similar to the Hellraiser C-7/Loomis, which is why my one guitarist who currently plays a Loomis wants one.

I've also heard great things about the LTD SC608B, which is why my other guitarist, who currently plays an SC607B, is looking into them

I played Darren's Intrepid and it felt surprisingly great, and sounded great when people plugged it in. I was amazed at how easy it was to play. Then I picked up a nearby Ibanez JEM with a shaved down neck and was amazed at the size different

ME: Ibanez RG 2228
    MA: Ibanez AW AJ307CE
    Rig: Ibanez Thermion

Sorry for my English

Soon in stores:

- Tremol-YES

- OMG OFR!!!

- Tremol-maybe-kinda

A floyd suspended by trampoline springs on all sides. Forget pivot points! Pitchbend up, down, sideways, catty-corner, diagonally - whatever-the-fuk-floats-your-boat!!!!

LEE ®-™-©