Chapman Stick?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Chapman Stick?

ME: Ibanez S470dx
    Rig: Behringer Rig

Chapman Stick?

Has anyone in here ever played a Chapman Stick? I've always wanted to get one and become a great counterpoint player. What is it like?

ME: Blackjack C7
    MB: Yamaha TRB6
    Rig: GK MB500

Used to own one. they're cool instruments. I dunno how well the 5ths tuning in the bass works out, cause it makes for a lot of stretches and makes some things hard to play. but now they come with adjustable bridges so you can tune the bass to 4ths, as well, if you so desire. They're amazingly well built, great sounding instruments.
    I play bass in a band called Weaponlord.

I also play bass in a band called Northern Crown.

I used to play bass in a band called Faethom.

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

I screwed with one for a couple minutes in a music store once. It was fun, but it takes a LOT more than a couple minutes' screwing around to get the hang of it.

If you're seriously interested in a Stick, spend some serious woodshedding time working on touchstyle playing on a guitar first - you're going to need the "picking" hand dexterity and calluses if you want to do anything on a stick.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: Jackson Sl2H
    Rig: Engl/Marshall rack

I'd love to actually get the chance to sit down with a stick for a while and give it a go, there is so much potential in that instrument. They are just too expensive for me to get one anytime soon though.

ME: Blackjack C7
    MB: Yamaha TRB6
    Rig: GK MB500

When i get to be in a better financial position, i'm definitely gonna purchase another one.

ME: Raven 7 - my design
    MA: self-made dreadnought
    MB: Kubicki EX-Factor
    Rig: 7channels > 2 Axe-FX II's

I have a StickBass 8-string model which I tune straight across in 4ths like a bass. I absolutely love the distinctive bass sound Sticks have.

There's usually a bit of a waiting time if you're ordering a new one from Stick Enterprises so I'd also search eBay for used ones.

Personally I wouldn't even consider buying one of the older models without the adjustable bridge saddles which all the newer models have. I'm not at all interested in the traditional upside down 5ths tuning used on the bass side, but the adjustable saddles allow you to use any tuning you like. I'd put some thought into what tuning scheme you want for contrapuntal playing (perhaps mirrored 4ths?)

Also keep in mind that the touch technique on a Stick is far far lighter and easier than it is on a regular guitar or bass. Most players who already tap on guitar find they have to really lighten up their touch on a Stick. It's a different feel, but far easier once you get used to it.