Your favorite trem?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite trem?

ME: Ibanez
    Rig: Mesa Triple Rectifier

Your favorite trem?

For the longest time my favorite trem was the old Ibanez Lo Pro Edge from the 90s. It was on all my guitars back in the day and I loved it.

I know a lot of you guys really dig the OFR, but for me it's just not my thing. The bar always seems to come loose on mine and I just don't dig it as much.

The weirdest trem I have is on my S-series 7 string. It's got an Ibanez TRS trem, which by default should be a total piece of garbage (most others I've played were), but it's just amazingly smooth and the flutter is to die for, it's absolutely endless. You could hit the bar hard, it'll flutter, and it'll keep fluttering through the next few notes you play. What a great sound.

Recently though, I've really gotten into the Ibanez Edge III that's on two of my newer Ibanez guitars. This trem plays like the Lo Pro Edge, but the blocks are part of the structure, and the bar sits better. I originally though the whammy bar had worn the cavity a little bit, because it was fairly loose, then I noticed a very small allen wrench screw on the back of the trem used specifically for tightening the bar cylinder. The result? Pure awesome. Best trem ever. The bar is extremely tight, the bridge stays perfectly in tune, and the profile is super low so it doesn't get in the way of my playing. I love the Edge III.

ME: Schecter Loomis 7
    Rig: Boss GT-8

I like the OFR on my Loomis but it is a bit of work to maintain and such.

The Wilkinson VS-100 on my Carvin stays in tune really well and is easier to maintain and looks better. In most ways I prefer it to a Floyd.

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Steinberger R-type, no contest.
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

Original Edge.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

I'm not a big trem user, but i love the bridge on my JP7. Solid, low-profile and seems to hold tuning very nicely.

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Despite my love/hate relationship with trems, the original and Lo-Pro Edges are my favourites. I've not had the pleasure of trying a real Floyd yet though. The Kahler's not bad, but the bar positioning is a PITA for me.

ME: '91 UV7PWH+'91 UV7BK
    Rig: Peavey JSX-Peavey 4/12

Edge III = I love that trem. I still have to say that the Lo Pro Edge is my favorite and always has been. I absolutely hate the Lo Trs trem although the one that was on my old S7420 was fairly nice and gave me no problems.

ME: Ibanez RG1302
    Rig: Peavey triple xxx

Original edge and the Lo Pro edge, closely followed by the Schaller floyd. The Kahler on my Charvel is pretty neat, though I rarely use the bar.