Thinking about getting a carvin 7

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a carvin 7

ME: Elysian Custom
    Rig: Bias Desktop

Thinking about getting a carvin 7

after playing the LACS, I've been wanting something either balanced sounding or bright. The LACS has fulfilled that LPish sound I wanted so now I want something with a different tone and different pickups of course. I know I'll get a maple neck but debating on a alder body or swamp ash body with either a birdseye maple or ebony board. I definitely don't want inlays, after being introduced to no inlays I love it. I'm limiting my budget to 1,000 anything higher is just ridiculous. Any thoughts or should consider something else?
    I play Suhrs, not poor people guitars. -Chris

one at a time fellas i can't read all these comments at once.

ME: RG550
    Rig: Mesa/Boogie Studio .22

Carvins are a great option for such a 7-string. Alder sounds like a good choice for body wood if you want a bright-ish tone.

Make sure you check out for images of the guitar your spec'ing:

In-Stock Archive

Oh, and there's a nice write-up by Frank Falbo on Jemsite about the qualities of different tonewoods:

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I played Justin's Carvin a bit when he had it. It was nice, though the neck was pretty big if I remember correctly (this coming from a Schecter player ). I've never heard the stock pickups, but pretty much everyone replaces them, and bitches about the non-standard-sized pickup routes

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

You'll have a hard time keeping a Carvin under $1000 unless you stick to VERY bare-bones specs. I had a similar impression as Aaron to Justin's DC727... i found the neck to be thick in all the wrong places. Very strange. But it may be just what you're looking for, and if you can find what you want used, you'll save a bundle, because Carvins do not hold their resale value well.

well thick necks don't bother me that much, ever since I played a Gibson Les Paul I started hating thin necks. My LACS neck is about as thick as my Conklin's neck is just a slight bit flat in the middle. The pickup routes is the only thing I'm iffy about. I'm wanting a bare bones guitar just like my LACS and I've tried pricing one out on carvin and came around to 970ish. I just want to see if anybody has a different recommendation and please make sure it doesn't have EMGs.

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Seriously, my Septor 727 with maple board is bright and very clear. It's got a chunkier, curved-profile neck too, which is very comfy.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

If you want a bright-sounding seven, then Carvin is is the one. Keep checking in the Guitars In Stock section on the Carvin web site, and you might well be able to get a 727 or 747 with decent options for $1,000 or a little less.

They also tend to sell much cheaper used on eBay, and that's probably the best way to go. Here's one without inlays sitting on eBay right now with no bids and starting at $500: Carvin DC727 Seven String Guitar NR - eBay (item 320438380346 end time Oct-27-09 12:02:06 PDT)