Metal Guitarist Forums banner

N(ot)NGD or why not to buy necks off unknown builders.

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  The Dark Wolf 
#1 ·
So that neck I got off Ebay for my strat project has turned to shit. It was always a little thicker than I wanted, but then the skunk stripe is starting to raise up out. Can't have that! So I'm throwing it in the closet for a little while, as I can't honestly sell it to someone else unless the wood settles(don't worry, I'll strip the logo off before it ever leaves my house).

Now we come to a bridge, do I use the Mighty Mite neck originally planned for this, or upgrade? Upgrade it is! I ordered a neck from Musikraft, who has an actual track record for neck building. :lol:

Specs were:
Total Custom One Pc Constructed Charvel Strat Neck
Nut Style: Floyd W/O Holes
Fret Size and Type: Jumbo 6100 .110 X .055
12th Dot Spacing: Narrow Post 1964
Finger Board Inlay Side Markers: Black
Finger Board Inlay Top: Black Phenolic
Finger Board Radius: 16"
Trussrod Option: Dual Acting Adjust at Heel
Tuner Hole Size: Gotoh/Scaller/Sperzel 10 mm
Neck Wood: Flame Maple Select
Heel Width: Standard Fender 2-3/16"
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Number of Frets: 22 With FB Extenion
Scale: 25-1/2" Standard Fender
Head Stock Orientation: Right for Right Handed Players
Back Profile: Thin C .79 to .89
Finish: Sealed with Shellac
Additional Options: Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges
While I was searching for a neck, I also sumbled upon a Mexi Fender Floyd Rose Strat body in sunburst on Ebay. It had a wider sunburst, which was more in line with the guitar this is mimicking.

The GFS pickups are out as well. They were worth a shot, but didn't live up to my expectations. I bought a couple Dimarzio Virtual Solo pickups off Banjomike's.

So here is rebuild number 2, build number 3 basically:

I find it very hard to photograph flame, this neck is pretty flamey in some spots, not much on the fretboard though.

Oh yeah, the back of the head on this has a "This is not a Real Fender" decal too. :rofl:

See less See more
#14 ·
Toshiro, that thing's just fucking cool. Simple, straightorward, but just exuding "this is a rockin' guitar."

You're REALLY not helping my Warmoth Partscaster gas. :lol:

#15 ·
Toshiro, that thing's just fucking cool. Simple, straightorward, but just exuding "this is a rockin' guitar."
Thanks man! It does indeed rock, currently it's rocking some Maiden licks. :metal:

You're REALLY not helping my Warmoth Partscaster gas. :lol:
...and you're very welcome. :lol: They still running that discount off showcase items? Quite the deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.