After getting repeatedly shafted by trigonometric integrals I rushed home to find this:
That's a sexy box, lets open it and find out what's inside
Hmmm, what's this?
Hey, I remember buying you back in August
Look at that view
And the whole collection
Let's start with the good:
1. This guitar is insanely beautiful. I've always wanted a guitar with this color scheme and it looks even better than I imagined.
2. Even with my tendinitis I can comfortable play a 27in scale. It's not as easy of comfortable as a 25.5 but I can barely notice the difference.
3. Great neck profile
4. Acoustically it's almost as loud as my COW7. It sounds great (when it's not buzzing).
5. The extra space on the upper frets is awesome
Now the bad:
1. Fretwork; I was not expecting it to be as nice as the COW but I was expecting a lot better for a $800 instrument. My H-207 had comparable fretwork.
2. There are file marks all over the edges of the fretboard, black spots/marks on the upper frets, and some of the side dots look like they were drilled to deep then just cleared over so they're not that noticeable compared to the rest.
3. Fret size: Definitely not extra jumbo frets. If you look at the pictures with the COW you can definitely tell the size difference. This usually would not be a deal breaker for me but it was advertised as "extra-jumbo" and combined with the less than satisfactory fretwork (in my opinion) it bothers me.
4. It looks like someone hit the corners of my neck 707 with a file or sandpaper
5. There are some finish flaws near the knob recesses and the on the headstock.
I've spent a few hours messing with the setup not but I am unable to get the action as low as it is on my COW without buzzing (this is my 3rd guitar with a floyd, it's not that). The guitars have the same gauge strings and are in slightly different tuning (Bb standard for the Agile, drop Bb for the COW). I'm gonna continue screwing with it but I doubt I'll be able to get over the frets
I was going to return the guitar and just eat shipping costs when I got it because I have some financial issues at the moment (college) but now I'm going to ask a Kurt for a full refund (including shipping) because I feel this qualifies as a B-stock instrument, not something I would pay $800 for. I'm really disappointed because everyone else seems to love their Agiles and it is a beautiful instrument but the flaws are inexcusable at this price point imo (and the fact that the frets are smaller than advertised pisses me off a little).
And before you say I'm being to hard on Rondo for the quality; this is the most expensive instrument I've purchased. My current benchmarks for quality are my Seagull S6 and the COW7. I also have a Korean Ibanez RG (RG320) neck in the room that has nicer fretwork than this does. I know Rondo can make a kickass instrument because my room mate has a Brice 6-string bass with fretwork that is just as nice as my COW's (and it cost it like half as much as the Interceptor) but this guitar just fails to meet my expectations for the price.
Wow, this really sucks to hear. The fretwork on every Agile I have played has been really good. :/