I played an RGA7 on Wednesday

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: I played an RGA7 on Wednesday

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

I played an RGA7 on Wednesday

I'm impressed. Sure, it's still a lower-end instrument so it's not up to the standard of my old KXK, but it's great for the money. Which at the local store I used to work at is 375, the cheapest I've seen it anywhere. Even at the 450 most places have it it's good value.

Mohogany arched body, fixed bridge and a slim Ibanez neck, which is pretty much what I've looking for right now. The neck is the flat D profile of the RG7321, which is ok. Personally I like the thinness, but I'd prefer more of a C shape. Fit & finish was good. The frets could've been finished a little more, but I really can't gripe for the price. The active Ibanez pickups are surprisingly good, better than the usual stock crap by far. I was playing through a Mesa Express 50 and got an extremely nice clean sound on both pickups, which gritted up for a bit of just overdriven blues with the onboard active EQ engaged. I couldn't get the kind of metal grind I like on the distortion channel, but then again the Express isn't a metal amp. Certainly I could get a usuable metal sound with the EQ on.

All in I can see one in my future if things pan out with the new job, especially if I can swing a discount from my mates in the store. While I could live with the stock pickups, long term I think some Blackouts or EMG's would find their way in there. Certainly I think the EQ isn't quite what I'd want. It's useful for a bit more grind on rhythms, but stops the clean getting as clean as I like. As I don't fancy having to flip that each time I change channel I think I'd replace the EQ switch with a killswitch.

Anyway, if you like your Ibanez 7's and want a mahogany bodied fixed bridge guitar on a budget, it's a great buy.

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

they really need to make one of those with a maple board (6 or 7)

Id hit that hard!

ME: PRS Custom 22
    Rig: JCM800

I haven't tried an RG7321 to compare necks, so now I'm all curious.
    Sparrows (Space Punk, LOUD): www.sparrows613.com

ME: Suhr Modern 7
    MA: Martin MC16-GTE
    MB: Dingwall Afterburner 5
    Rig: Mesa Roadster, Recto 4x12

A good clean sound, you say? That's doubly surprising, since the Express had one of the least inspiring Mesa cleans I've ever played.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a bit dicier." - David Foster Wallace

ME: RGD2127z/Apex 100
    Rig: Diezel Hagen/Zilla's

I was looking at one of these as a replacement for an the Apex, I'm gonna grab the RGA8 instead first though, rather have all the strings, and then a 7, than buy a 7 and think "Fuck, I wish I'd bought the 8". I need to try one, big style.

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

Quote Originally Posted by budda View Post
    I haven't tried an RG7321 to compare necks, so now I'm all curious.
    They probably both have the same neck actually.

Ibby Indonesian necks can be iffy on quality - i wouldn't buy one unless i played it first.