Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Putting my 7 string back together. Best place for custom pickguard?

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott 
#1 ·
So, 3-4 years ago, I started putting together a 7 string guitar, modeled after one of Vai's Bad Horsie guitars. Some of you may remember it (Unless you have purged you memory of all lefty greatness)

I went through two bodies (The second one made by CWoods, and took over a year for me to get. Thanks again for that..) and two pickguards, since the second iteration had a Fernandes sustainer.

The guitar is still with me, but needs a Lo Pro 7 trem (Which I'll eventually need to re-drill for Leftyness again) a 7 string Sustainiac, pickups, and a new pickguard since the sustainiac is regular sized, as oppose to the Fernandes being EMG-ish.

I'm getting the sustainiac since the body is already routed for the extra controls, battery, and circuit board of the fernandes. And i'd rather not have empty holes in my body, and i'm sure as hell not looking to get another body made.

I just hope it'll drop in to the control cavities that were made for the fernandes.

Assuming that it will, I still need a new pickguard made. Where is the best place for a custom pickguard? I'm obviously looking for quality, reasonable turn around time, and preferably the option to send them my current guard as a template, since the only thing I need changed is the neck pickup route.

Looking through my photobucket account, I can't seem to find any pictures that I've taken of the full guitar..:confused: But I have one that I pulled from Chris Woods' site.

Too bad i'll have to go with Black pickups, since the 7 string sustainiac doesn't come in a white version. :(

Now that I look at this pic again, i'm thinking the trem and nut will need to be black this time around. Instead of cosmo and a chrome nut (The only available 7 string lefty nut back then) I also hate the extra control layout now. :mad:

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
:wub: thanks man.

Also, fuck you guitarpartsdepot for charging a minimum $16 for shipping on a $12 nut, that can fit into a padded USPS envelope. That's more than twice what they charged me last time for shipping. :mad:

You should go with Sharp Concepts and get a rusted one for it, that'd be pretty sick

Sharp Concepts Guitar Pickguards - Custom Pickguard Products

I dunno otherwise, I've only ever dealt with him, and got a diamondplate pick guard, before he was doing any custom finishing on them. His fit on my UV777BK was perfect.
I'll look into them, but i'm likely going to stick with the blackness that i've got now. :yesway:

Edit: although that pickguard does look sweet as hell.

#9 ·
Sure! I just want to get this thing put back together and usable. If I decide to swap out the pups later on, I can.

I think I may have had New 7's in my RG1077xl back in the day. Or Custom 7's... Or some stock fucking things. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.