Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Carvin, take 3: Action!

ME: JS2000/Warmoth
    MA: Seagull S6
    MB: Ibanez SRC6
    Rig: Mesa ROV25+V:25+Mesa Cab

Carvin, take 3: Action!

So I got the Carvin today, and got quite a bit of playing time in on the Mesa. Here's some pics:

Thoughts? Bright. As. Fuck. Seriously, holy shit. Sterile. Honestly, I don't know what the fuck I was thinking ordering another one. Granted, the stock pickups are bright, but I just don't know that I want to take the chance getting this damn thing routed or modifying other pickups just to see if I can get rid of some of the sterileness (is that a word?), coldness, and brightness. Fucking ice picky.

Quality-wise, it's pretty nice, though once again Carvin can't manage to get a guitar out without some fucking weird oddity; there are some blemishes near the pup selector, and there are marks on the sides of the fretboard from where they were finishing the frets.

Another major thing after playing quite a few Schecters, including the ATX I had, is that I just can't go back to a 25.5" scale guitar for 7's. This thing came with 10-56's, and the low B felt way too rubbery.

Ugh. I have OCD, and I just can't be happy with shit. I have the same damn 3 Ibanez guitars since 2002, and I finally with the Mesa have found an amp I don't want to flip. Other than that, I've gone through 8 frigging guitars at least in the last 5 years.

I think I'm going to give up for awhile. The guitar I want isn't made, and I really can't swing a custom from someone who can make it. Ah well!
    Disclaimer: I work ultra part-time for a local music gear dealer

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Looks nice though

ME: 87 Ibanez RG550
    MA: Wasburn D12 6
    Rig: ADA MP1 / Spider II

aww man a swing and a miss then maybe try a parametric eq on it to smooth out the ice pick (or back the presence a bit??)

Id like to get a carvin but from what ive seen swapping pups in them is a real pain. Plus i have real aversion to buying guitars I have never played before.

the neck on that is very nice looking tho birdseye is sweet!

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

That sucks. Carvin has a nice return policy, right?

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

I wonder if the active EQ option does wonders for the stock pickups. If they're as cold/bright/sterile as you say, it may be that they were designed with the active EQ in mind.

Damn, that's a bummer. It looks like a nice guitar, but I guess we all know that looks aren't everything.

ME: Buckethead Les Paul
    MA: Washburn
    Rig: Titan Custom

You know, the other guitarist in my band has ordered 4 Carvins in the last couple of years. Every single one of them has come to him wrong. Fortunately, he really likes Carvin guitars and I'm able to fix them for him.

ME: Shermans
    Rig: JCM800/6100

That's a bummer to hear. I really, really wish I could get into Carvin 7's, cause they are such a great value for the buck. I just can't for some reason.