Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My guitar for life, small pic story, too much text

ME: Electra X260 Invicta
    MB: Ibanez SR405
    Rig: SVT 6 Pro->M1400i->HLF410

My guitar for life, small pic story, too much text

Just whoring out my main axe here.

Around Dec 2007, I needed a 2nd guitar because of the project I was in had multiple tunings. I had a Yamaha RBX374 bass that I wasn't playing anymore so I hung around Craigslist wanting to do a trade.

I found a guitar I've never heard of before: a 6 string Electra X260 Invicta. It was in bad shape but it was advertised that it came with Duncan Distortion in the bridge. So I hit the dude up and he's interested.

I get there and find that it's all beat up, missing a knob, only had 5 strings, and the top strap button was missing but replaced with a small screw...
    (damn you CL for allowing such small pics) Now normally I would've denied and left, but something told me to go ahead and take it.

So I get home and took pics:

I was surprised to see that even though it was pretty beaten up, I didn't have to adjust the truss! I cleaned it up, restringed it, adjusted the height & intonation, then give it a whirl.

It sounded and felt GREAT! I was in love and was glad I listened to my inner voice. The only other great guitar i've ever owned was a 1996 Ibby RG550 and this played helluva lot better! I was definitely pleased.

Some time later, I realized that the SH-6 didn't look like any SH-6 I've seen before, so I hit up the SD forums and found that it's in fact an SH-10 aka Full Shred. Wasn't really pleased or displeased, but I was happy enough with the tone to not change them out.

Fast forward to March 2009

I was at band practice in a different project. At the end of the night, I leaned it up against the wall. BAD MISTAKE.

I heard my drummer yell at me, then I heard a loud SNAP. Like a bone breaking.... I had thought it just fell, but then things turned for the worst; The headstock SNAPPED due to it falling flat face forward (tongue twister thar!)

I picked it up and was totally heartbroken.... like when a pet dies.

Damage done:

After doing research, I found that it wasn't as bad because of where the break was, totally fixable. If it was any lower, I would've had to trash it since it's a bound neck.

With my finances being totally horrible (for the last 6 years...) I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix it. I invested in a bottle of Gorilla Wood Glue, a couple of clamps, then went to work.

Here are the results afterwards (not the best job in the world):

Even before it broke, I would have NEVER sold it. If I wanted to today, I wouldn't get jack because of its condition and history. I still don't wanna sell it, hell, I'll prolly ask to be buried with it.

It's because of this guitar that I fell in love with Ash + Full Shred.

So yeah, that's my story of my guitar for life. Hope you enjoyed it! Now here are the specs on the guitar:

Date of Manuf: Jan 1980
    Brand: Electra
    MIJ, Matsumoku
    Solid Ash body (looks like the top is flamed or bookmatched towards the middle?)
    5 piece maple neck (looks like birdseye?)
    "Bayonet neck junction" (silly descrip for set neck?)
    Brass Nut
    3 Way Switch and Coil Tap
    Maple Fingerboard?? I've never seen a dark maple fretboard before.

The Electra Guitar Page - X260 Invicta

ME: Schecter Loomis ToM
    Rig: Randall RM100

That guitar definitely has some sex appeal to it. It's certainly some dirty sex, but the good kind of dirty sex. I like the color of it, and it's worn in look.
    Medicine Chief - RHLC

Rig: Twin Reverb/Dual Rec

bad ass .

I love guitars with some character and history.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

thats not ash, its mahog (unless its way different on the back, which isnt pictured), and thats definitely rosewood
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

^ Even the specs at the link you posted says it's a mahogany body with an ash top and a walnut finish.

Hmm, the pattern on the back is definitely Ash. That link does say mine's Ash as well (Invicta Natural). There's two versions of this guitar with the mahogany one being a brighter color. Here's the older link with pics of the back:

I thought the fretboard was rosewood as well. I've never heard of or seen a dark maple one before.

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

That break is all too common, and the neck is now more stable than it was before. Glue joints are far stronger than the wood itself. Having said that, buy a stand, stupid!

Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

I have a single and a double stand now! No more stupidness again!