Criminally underrated guitar companies?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Criminally underrated guitar companies?

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Criminally underrated guitar companies?

Bringing up Yamaha in Donnie's thread, I was reminded of how many cool and "interesting" guitars Yamaha has done, including the RBX/RGX series, the AES series, the various unique signature guitars, and their solid basses, all at an excellent price point and with dependable build quality. They're not afraid to step outside the box, yet their more traditional designs are conservative enough to appeal to the most staid of guitarists, and the "Silent" range of instruments (of which the cello in my avatar is one) are unique, well-designed, and sound fantastic. Yet, no one ever thinks of them!

Another cool guitar company (now long gone sadly) is Daion, a Japanese "boutique" maker from the 80s. I got to play a Powermark XX-B bass and had I not gotten my Dingwall, I would own it right now. Solid construction, comfortable asymmetrical neck carves, custom brass hardware and knobs, incredible attention to detail, slim carved body, and excellent sound and playability.

Who else can you think of?
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

Godin comes to mind as being very solid instruments with some really unique features, and they've really expanded their line the last few years.

ME: EBMM JP6 / JP7
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

I don't know if underrated is the right word, but I love my Brian Moore that I got from Donholio, and I'd never even heard of them before I bought it from him.

ME: Decibel Javelin
    MA: Ibanez AJ307CE
    MB: Fretless Precision mutt
    Rig: Mesa F-30

Yamaha definitely get overlooked a lot, because often people's only experience with them are the horrible starter guitars that the market is flooded with. Even the good Yamaha dealers often don't carry much of their better stuff. Their bad stuff is pretty bad, but their good stuff is excellent.

Godin stuff is really well made, but man, i wish they'd get some more progressive-looking designs, or at least tweak the proportions on the couple they've got that are close. Most of their stuff just looks really "meh" but usually plays and sounds great.

I think Peavey makes some good stuff as well, but similar to Yamaha in that their bad stuff is less than stellar, but their higher-end stuff is great, though some of it suffers from Godin-esque awkwardness in the design.

ME: WarmothTele/SE245
    MA: Seagull S12+
    MB: Fender Jazz Bass V
    Rig: Egnater Renegade 65

ME: Ibanez ART100
    Rig: Peavey 12W Solo Amp

My first "real" musical instrument (as in, not including the recorders we played in elementary school and stuff like that) was a used Yamaha trombone. Had a couple minor dents and scratches, which is to be expected, but it played well and lasted me a good long time.

ME: Ibanez JBM100

I have an old school RGX 621 from Yamaha - it's been thru hell in the past 15 years, survived a two story drop and being repeatedly thrown across a stage. Still sounds good - i wish i could snag another one, but they always come up when i have no money.

ME: Jackson Soloist
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX II

G&L and Heritage are quietly carrying on the true legacies of Fender and Gibson.