Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Guitar strings and differences in tension (between brands).

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Hollowway 
#1 ·
I have a Schecter on the way (total impulse buy :lol:) and to be honest I don't like the extra tension for my style of playing, and I don't like 09s either. I've been a D'addario user for a long time and I'm quite happy with them, so I haven't experimented much with strings.

So I thought about tension differences between brands and wondered if it's THAT noticeable. I remember DRs being kinda loose, but that's about it. So it would be cool to know which brands have tighter/looser strings so I can figure out a good balance in tension.

Discuss. :)

#2 ·
Elixirs Nanowebs, for some reason have more tension than other non-coated strings that are same exact same gauges. a set of Elixir .10s for example feels more like 10.5s to me :shrug:. i like the added tension though, and the strings just sound and feel incredible too.

a set of Elixir Nanoweb .9s might be just what you're looking for. i believe D'Addario also make some "in between" string gauges too.

#7 ·
DR high Beams have more tension that the same gauge D'Addarios.
I go back and forth between these 2 brands all the time and if I switch from one to the other I always have to adjust my trems.

#8 ·
I love Elixirs. A bit more perceived tension and stiffness, but I kind of like that. Their 9s are like 9.5s really.

#11 ·
I took your original post to wonder what the tension differences are across the different brands. THAT would be some pretty cool info. If we could get a tension chart like the D'Addario chart for all of the major brands I'd be totally into that. I for one use the string tension calculator to choose my strings, but I use either Ernie Ball, La Bella, or Elixirs, depending on the string, and I haven't the foggiest idea how closely they match the tension the calculator shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.