Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Schecter's 2011 website and line-up!

14K views 169 replies 33 participants last post by  7deadlysins 
#1 ·
Really glad they put some time and effort into their site, as 2010's site was horrible to navigate. The new one is looking sleek, fast loading and really easy to navigate, via an intuitive selection system. On top of that, there's some really tasty new Guitars coming out, and once again Schecter embrace us 8 Stringers :D

I badly want me one of these!!!

In case that link didn't work due to gay web coding, here's a link to the page.

They've also added a Custom Shop template and order form, with instant price quote, which is handy, although crazy expensive (my quote came back at $10,000!!)

www.schecterguitars.com

See less See more
#3 ·
I think what I like best about that Riot 8 is that it's a Guitar in it's own right, and not a 6 string model that's been stretched inproportionately to be an 8. It looks great, well balanced visually, and has a great satin finish. If they could have used a Les Paul style switch rather than the crappy blade switch, and Schecter's locking tuners, it'd be my perfect Guitar. ...... of course I hadn't played it so it's purely speculation at this point.

#5 ·
The reason the Riot 8 looks proportional to the giant neck is because it was a bass design first :lol:

#21 ·
What kills me about this more than anything else is neck profiles. Manufacturers generally have just one or two neck profiles, and if you don't get along with them, tough break. I hate having that being the deciding factor, since manufacturers have also seemed to be settling on specific wood choices and construction techniques, too. Is it too much to ask that one of those many superstrat shapes come with a thinner neck?

#13 ·
The Chris Garza one is cool at least, and the Hellraiser Specials
Hmmm not sure about a Tele style, especially with that finish. And I was originally interested in the HR Specials too, until I found out they were the budget version of the HR's. I might have gotten myself another C-8 but now I just want a Riot 8! :D

#18 ·
Well the senior VP says it's still a work in progress so perhaps they're not listed yet. Although if you ask me, throwing in a truck load of V's in 6, 7 and 8 string versions all in one go and one year, was a pretty risky move. I never found anyone who'd want a V 8 string. I didn't think they were particularly attractive personally.

From what I've seen, they try out different things each year to see who bites, which is pretty cool. I think the V's were a big ol' dice roll which didn't pay off. The C-8's clearly worked, as they continued them passed their limited edition original roll out, and some more to boot for 2011. I personally thought their Stiletto's came to an end far too soon, but perhaps if anyone else thought that too, they'd still be in the line up :shrug:

#58 ·
I'm sort of an Ibanez fanboy, but only Prestige models. All the other necks were to narrow; my fingers would bump into each other. Schecters I don't mind, but I could never get used to the headstock and logo. I like 6 in line and 7 in line tuners. 3x4 is alright too. I just prefer the Ibanez Prestige neck. Wide and flat. 20" radius. Right on :yesway:

#60 ·
Hmmmmmmm not to be a douche (yeah, right? :lol:) but aren't the Ibby Prestige necks 430 mm = 16.9" radius?

Also, I was a little disappointed not to see something slightly more shaken up in the Schecter "RG" line, whatever that's called. The Hellraiser C7 Special FR is pretty cool, but I wish they'd offer something that nice without EMG's and the old black cherry quilt finish. It's pretty, but why not a few new colors or something? Some flame instead of quilt?

#63 ·
You are correct about the Schecter radius. Honestly, it's not bad - a bit flatter than a Les Paul. I'm not sure what it is about Hellraisers, but I have yet to play one and be thrilled, even though I really want to like them on paper. :(

It could be a combination of the radius with the neck profile...

#64 ·
You are correct about the Schecter radius. Honestly, it's not bad - a bit flatter than a Les Paul. I'm not sure what it is about Hellraisers, but I have yet to play one and be thrilled, even though I really want to like them on paper. :(
Exactly my sentiment. I'm like, this thing is gonna be fucking sweet, and then I spend a grand on it. Get home and a week later I feel "meh". So I sells it. Buy 2027. World continued to spin.

#66 ·
I played a Damien Elite-7 and a C7 Blackjack (passive) at Guitar Center yesterday and it felt like the neck on the Blackjack was thinner and far more comfortable than the 2x4 the Damien had. Both guitars were very dull sounding though like most Schecters I seem to come across :noway:

#73 ·
Pffft, those poxy thin bodied, thin necked, bolt on Blackmachine's are still the best sounding, sustaining and best playing guitars I've ever had my grubby mitts on, bar none. Only thing's that came close are Ben's KxK and the custom Suhr's (also bolt on) we got at my work.

#77 ·
I don't think you sounded like a dick at all, and I thank you for your response.

I don't think everything I've said about Schecter on here was positive. I did also state that the Guitar I recently received had faults which was a shame. For example, the pickup routing was so poor, that they were off to the left by almost an inch, and it wasn't stamped as a factory second, and in my mind it should have been. But it made no difference to the sound to me, and I confirmed it with Rick Hunt of EMG that it wouldn't affect it negatively. In fact surprisingly, I felt it sounded better than my C-7 which was flawless. I couldn't tell you why, I am only assuming that the extra neck wood of being an 8 added something tonally, but I don't know. It's a real shame for me, as I intended to put in Bare Knuckles, and being an open pickup, the routing issue would have become far more noticable. However another member on here suggested putting EMG style covers on to sort this out, which I believe it will.

I have seen faults with other Schecter's I've owned also. My first was a C-7 Hellraiser FR, and the nut was installed so badly that everytime I used the floyd, the strings would click and the sustain died of death. This turned out to be that the screws holding the locking nut on had somehow worn out the holes they went into, which I rectified, and it was perfect from then on. It also had weird markings behind the nut which I could only describe as "teeth marks", which I couldn't explain. It however made no difference to me, I loved it anyway.

A Guitar is a tool, and so long as it does the job you want it to, it doesn't matter what it is. I think it's awesome that there are so many different kinds out there, that appeal to everyone else's tastes. If this weren't the case, the world would be that much of a boring place. Had it not been for forums such as this, I wouldn't know about half of them. I even bought my former Ibanez LACS through SS.org, which was great for me at that time, but I moved back to Schecter as it was more suitable to my playing and sound. Again, it may be right for me, but not for someone else.

But on the note of overwhelming positivity, you may be referring to the fact that someone started a thread asking about what was good about Schecters. Schecter often tends to get bad press on forums like these, and considering the title, why would I not put forward my positive experiences with them? Again, I am not an endorsee of Schecter, but frankly I want to be. I've been offered Dean, Ibanez, Vigier, Jayden Rose, ESP, and a few others including customs, but I'm holding out for the one I really want, which is much more difficult to get over here. I'm sure you can appreciate that considering this site comes up top in google when searching relevant keywords that anything negative I write could go against me. When applying for endorsements, the reps go to the lengths of researching the artist, and I wouldn't want to have shot myself in the foot.

So I'd like to apologise to anyone I might have offended. It's not intentional, I just feel that it should be OK for me to like Schecter without saying I give the brand a metaphorical blow job! Your main I see is a Telecaster. That's cool, I've owned them myself and I find them really comfortable. It's not my bag as a main instrument but that's just me.

#165 ·
I don't think everything I've said about Schecter on here was positive. I did also state that the Guitar I recently received had faults which was a shame. For example, the pickup routing was so poor, that they were off to the left by almost an inch, and it wasn't stamped as a factory second, and in my mind it should have been.
Oh, you mean the one that you'd put up against any custom? In that case, let me ask a followup question - have you played any customs from anyone other than, say, Roter? Or Halo?

Sorry, this may be a well-beaten horse by now, but I waded through three or four pages of this and finally gave up. I'm with Josh and Dormant. Schecters are perfectly nice guitars for the price, and I like mine. But, I wouldn't spend what I would on a Suhr or an Anderson on my Blackjack, not even close.

#80 ·
This debate between Neck thickness is retarded really...

I have played both Thin and thick necks that felt nice and then I played both that felt like crap. I once was playing an Ibanez and my hand started to cramp up. then I was playing Either a Gibson Schecter or something else with a huge neck.. Can really remember the Brand it was :lol: and it just sucked to me. My taste changed every time I could try a new guitar.

Basicly My point is this thread is 5 pages of people bitching about something that really isn't related in a way to the OP. :fawk:

How about we stick to the Orginal topic about how Schecter has New guitars for 2011 even if you don't like them. I know alot of people that dont like Ibanez or Fenders yet there is hardly ever an Agruement this size about them :nuts:

#81 ·
Nah, I can understand your reaction. I was just trying to hammer a point home, and sometimes the best way to do that is to use blunt-force language.

I can be a fanboy (matter of fact I am, for Dingwall, Budda, and jokingly about the Aldrich pickup) but I just get this feeling of "promotion" from you that kind of turns me off; the same way everything Zimbloth gets in stock is "amazing and the best out there." It's a fine line; if you sell something and promote it, it becomes viewed as disingenuous; if you sell something and slag it, you're never going to move it. It's probably best not to get into "tone voodoo" arguments for outdated construction methods or needlessly un-ergonomic features either, as those are really what get my hackles up. :lol:

Also, I have liked almost every midrange-and-up Schecter I've played. Matter of fact, my C-4 Elite has seen more gigs than any of my other basses, and the other day it beat out two other "boutique" brands when I was noodling around recording a bassline; for that application, it was pretty much perfect. If I needed to buy another gigging active 5-string I'd likely pick up a used Stiletto Studio.

I also like how they (at least used to) embrace different things before the market really caught on (the celloblasters, longer scale guitars, 8-strings, new pickup offerings, coil taps, real OFRs, the C-1 E/A, the old Diamond Series California Customs, excellent set-necks, etc.) Nowadays it seems like they're cramming a lot of the same features onto different shapes; a safer route certainly, but a more disappointing one. They seem to have lost their innovation when they gained a major foothold in the market.

But yes, Schecters:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.