Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Rasmus by Suhr Guitars are finally out!

36K views 217 replies 36 participants last post by  1 
#1 · (Edited)

Suhr Modern model body shape, North American Alder body and Maple neck with Indonesian
Rosewood fretboard, Modern Elliptical .780-.830" neck shape, 16" fretboard radius, 1.650 nut width,
Jumbo nickel frets, Gotoh 510 solid-saddles, chrome locking tuners and hardware,
SSH+ HB in bridge, SSV HB in neck and FL single-coil in the middle, 1V 1T 5-way, deluxe gig bag

Suhr guitars have a deserved worldwide reputation for unmatched quality and attention to detail. But this quality and performance comes at a relatively high cost due to the source of origin, the premium materials and the high number of experienced master builders and craftsmen at Suhr Guitars. Still, it has always been our motto to provide excellent value no matter what the price point is and this is again the philosophy behind the Rasmus instruments that we are introducing in 2010.
The USA-built Suhr instruments have been out of reach of many young and serious aspiring players who seek the best possible playability and tone from a guitar but can't break their bank account to acquire one. We've been hearing about this for years from the younger segment of the guitar community and we decided to examine this situation in 2008 after we introduced the 24-fret Modern model, which has become our most popular custom model and continues to attract a younger generation of serious dedicated players.

We looked at many options at lowering the cost here in our US factory like we did with the popular Pro Series instruments, but we came to see that it's simply not possible to hit a certain price point without working with an outside manufacturing source based in Asia. The goal became to produce the best possible quality guitars at a lower price point that more serious players can afford - not to produce larger quantities of imported instruments that merely look like Suhr guitars

Not all guitar factories in Asia are the same. Just as there are cheap products that we find in Wal*Mart we can also find premium goods like the Apple iPhone and many other high-end products that are manufactured in state-of-the-art factories in Asia. Our goal was to work with one of the most highly respected and capable guitar factories in Asia with the technology, experience, and the know-how to build instruments to Suhr's demanding quality standards and specifications. We did not go looking for the cheapest; we went out looking for the best.
This is where Ed Yoon, Suhr's Director of Marketing and Sales, comes in. Ed had worked in the 1990's for the largest guitar company in the world sourcing instruments from the Asian guitar-manufacturing base. With 10+ years of experience working with factories spread out over 5 countries in East Asia, Ed had a clear idea of the type of factory that could produce limited quantities of high quality instruments built to our standards. Ed decided on a factory that he had a very close working relationship with and which he helped develop since 1994 when it started out as a big empty building.

Ed adds: "I have visited over a hundred guitar factories all over Asia - from the humungous factories of multinational corporations covering million plus square feet to small factories that look like mud huts out in the Asian country side to everything in between. We wanted to work with a factory that considered quality the overriding factor in what they offered. We also wanted to work with a very professional organization that was easy to communicate with. There was no doubt in my mind who we'd want to work with. It wasn't too big and it wasn't too small. They had the technology, ISO9000 certification for implementing strictest quality standards, the experienced workforce, and a beautiful state-of-the-art facility.

Once the source was determined, it was time to go to work. The work started in late 2008 and we worked closely with the factory on the first set of samples. There was much technical discussion and visits by both sides to understand each other's manufacturing methods and quality standards. We decided to settle on our popular Standard and Modern models as the basis for the Rasmus line. More than any other, these two models have helped determine the visual identity of Suhr Guitars and we also recognized that these are the two models that were most sought after by the younger crowd for their sleek "modern" looks and playability.
The Rasmus Standard is based on the 22-fret Standard model that was developed by John Suhr in the 1980's. It's the body shape that put John Suhr on the map as offering a familiar design with refinements that gave off a distinctive look for an instrument in its class and the playability and functionality that demanding musicians require. The Rasmus Modern is based on the 24-fret Modern model introduced in January 2008 and this is the model that can be viewed as the first original model from Suhr Guitars since it was established in 1997.

The Standard and Modern are versatile modern instruments that can perform superbly in a variety of musical genres and playing styles. From sweet vintage-style sounds to contemporary hard rock and metal sonic assault, the Standard and Modern models look familiar yet look sharp and sleek for the younger players who are looking to define their own playing style and develop their own musical voice. But the truth is that these guitars aren't just for the teenagers or 20-somethings. They're for players of all types - from current Suhr owners who want a reliable and sturdy backup to players who are simply looking for the best possible quality instrument at a certain price point

So what sets the Rasmus guitars apart from the competition? It wasn't merely enough to work closely with what we consider the best guitar manufacturing operation in Asia. We needed to go the extra mile so that the experience of playing a Rasmus is very close to playing a USA-made Suhr in terms of playability and sound. So with this in mind, we decided to offer genuine USA-made Suhr pickups, Japanese-made Gotoh bridges and the same German-made fret wires that we use on our Suhr instruments. The woods are of the highest quality imported from North America (Alder and Maple) and Indonesia (Rosewood) and meet our strict weight guidelines.
But this wasn't enough. Every Rasmus guitar will be Plek'd and set up by Suhr master builders before being shipped from the Suhr factory. Yes, we will disassemble each guitar, Plek the neck with our top-of-the-line Plek Pro computerized fret-leveling machine and do the set-up and QC check ourselves. You can be assured of superb playability due to the Plek process, excellent sound courtesy of the Suhr USA pickups, and reliable functionality offered by the same Gotoh bridges that we use on our own Suhr guitars.

You can also count on the same stellar customer service and product support that has made Suhr Guitars famous in the exclusive high-end market for custom instruments. No detail is too small for us to overlook and we will support the Rasmus guitars in the same way that we've always supported our own USA-made Suhr guitars and other related products. The Rasmus guitars will only be available through authorized Suhr dealers in limited quantities. Rasmus requires a lot of our time and effort and that means there will be a limit to how many we can Plek and set up in our shop. This also means that each Rasmus will get the Suhr attention to quality and workmanship. Our commitment to quality is as strong as ever and this commitment will show in every Rasmus guitar
Rasmus RM100 Black Metallic Brand New Suhr Modern - eBay (item 270686112260 end time Jan-29-11 09:01:06 PST)

Rasmus RM100 Root Beer Metallic Brand New Suhr Modern - eBay (item 290517432923 end time Jan-29-11 09:04:39 PST)

Rasmus by Suhr M100 in Rootbeer Metallic w/Gigbag - eBay (item 260713615243 end time Jan-27-11 14:27:25 PST)

Rasmus Guitars by Suhr, M103, Color "Root Beer Metallic",

Rasmus Guitars by Suhr, M101, Color "Black Metallic",

See less See more
#11 ·
TBH, I agree with regard to the solid finish Rasmus Moderns I've seen so far. However, for the extra ~$400 (projected) for something like the GG signature... now they have my attention. That puts it, feature and price-wise, around non-BFR-EBMMs. The extra features on the GG certainly put me more likely to take the plunge:

"Guthrie and I visited the factory on June 4 and I will post some photos shortly.

The proposed Rasmus GG Signature Model will basically look a lot like the Suhr GG Signature Set-Neck but in a bolt-on design.

The wood will be lightweight African Mahogany and Guthrie liked how it sounded acoustically. The plan is to include all the other features of the Suhr GG models like the recessed 510 with steel block, jumbo SS frets, p/p to split neck HB, Blower switch, and Tremol-No, etc."

#6 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

7 Strings of Hate said:
I'm sure they play nice, but suhrs always really look unimpressive to me. Very plain and boring.
The thing is, there are a shit ton of really nice guitars at the $1000 mark that look a lot nicer too. Carvins, higher end RG's, PRS SE's, etc. And for $1500 I can get an N4. I can also get a pretty damn nice Warmoth or USA Custom put together for a grand. I just don't see the point.

#12 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The thing is, there are a shit ton of really nice guitars at the $1000 mark that look a lot nicer too. Carvins, higher end RG's, PRS SE's, etc. And for $1500 I can get an N4. I can also get a pretty damn nice Warmoth or USA Custom put together for a grand. I just don't see the point.
Any of those Plek'd? I wouldn't trust the fretwork on a $1000 Ibanez, I've seen first hand how uneven "Prestige" frets are.

Not to mention Carvin's QC on the fretwork... I worked on a neck last year that had 1 fret with a completely different height fretwire, it was shorter than all the frets around it... How the hell does a non-working 3rd fret make it through QC?

The price of the Rasmus' seems to be justified in all of the individual details.

#27 ·

Another thing; this isn't about expensive vs. cheap guitars. It's about value and getting what you pay for.

#33 ·
Well, if you dont care what it looks like, then your getting a good deal. But if you want a guitar that looks good too, then this isnt a good deal.

To ME, if a guitar doesnt look atleast somewhat visually pleasing, then it makes me not really interested in playing it. If it looks good, i get excited.

Personally, the carvins i'v played (and my zebra is a carvin neck) i litterally could not be happier about the play ability.
I dont buy into gimmicks, or names, or pleking ect to make a guitar great. I use my own 2 hands, and i honostly cant say i have ever played an ibby, carvin, prs, or gibson that has had unacceptable fretwork. As a matter of fact, most were shockingly good for all the hate i'v heard about some of these companies and found the hate to be completely unfounded.
Not to say that you dont get the occational dud, but thats just it. Occational.
From the way some people talk, you might as well not even buy a guitar that doesnt cost 5k because according to them practically every guitar is subpar in its fret work.

#36 ·
Let me get this straight, Adam. Are you saying this is a good value just because it's got a $175 Plek job on it, and happens to have a Suhr sticker on it? Or is there some glaring point that I'm clearly missing?

All I see is a boring super strat made of alder, with the same hardware as any other guitar.

#39 ·
Let me get this straight, Adam. Are you saying this is a good value just because it's got a $175 Plek job on it, and happens to have a Suhr sticker on it? Or is there some glaring point that I'm clearly missing?

All I see is a boring super strat made of alder, with the same hardware as any other guitar.
It's Plek'd, it's got Suhr American made pickups, a great bridge, quality woods, neck profile sounds great, etc. It's a good value because it's a good value.

And you don't notice fret problems because you've probably never sat down and leveled one. Go level an Ibanez's frets and come back and with a straight face tell me they did a great job, it won't happen.

#37 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Jeff said:

Have you played a suhr ever?

I work a what for a long time was one of the biggest Anderson dealers around, and suhrs are in the same league, as well as the private stocks from PRS.

I personally think that a good guitar, albeit downright awful looking IMO, gone over by John's crew, would kick a carvin or ibanez or whatevers ass. I love me sone carvins, and REALLY love me some ibbys, and the American washburns kick serious ass, but rarely rarely rarely are the best of those as nIce as the weaker offerings from suhr, Anderson and the like.

Now, is that last 1% worth it? I dunno. When you really really get every last drop out of it, when you groove with it, fuck yes. Otherwise, probably not.

It's just another alder superstrat that frankly looks fucking horrid, but if I had to buy an alder superstrat without playing it first, I'd bet money this would be my best bet at an absolutely fantastic playing and sounding axe.

Ita not that it's nice because it says suhr, it's that it only says suhr because it's nice. They're one of the only brands I'd trust to start a cheaper brand that I feel I could recommend sight unseen

#41 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I personally think that a good guitar, albeit downright awful looking IMO, gone over by John's crew, would kick a carvin or ibanez or whatevers ass.
Its statements like this that make me scratch my head though. I'v played some pretty high end guitars in my day, and like i said. a guitar can only play so good. after that its details. a suhr isnt going to "blow" these other guitar out of the water:roll2:.

Red totally kicks blue ass. See how much sense that makes?

#40 ·

The "hype" about suhr Anderson etc is about that last 1%

I'm yet to see any manufacturer offer anything with that last 1% for anything more than a sliver of the price discounted, but that's where the value question comes in. Is that last 1% worth the 500-1500 bucks it costs you over a guitar that is 99% of the way there? To you, I'd guess probably not. Having known you around here for a few years, I'd bet my fucking left nut it's not with it to you :lol:. To some other people, yes.

That's the question that generally settles whether people with an educated opinion (read: not highschool kids on HC who's epi les pauls own the worlds face) like suhr/Anderson/etc or not

#42 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It should be, "a guitar can only play so well."

Not, "a guitar can only play so good."

#45 ·
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I personally cannot justify spending above twoish grand on a guitar unless it has the exact specs I'd want in a custom..

This is very reasonably priced though, 1k for a Suhr seems good to me.

#46 ·
It'll be interesting to read people's impressions of these once they start getting into players' hands. Any brand is prone to fanboyism, so many reviews are going to have to be taken with a grain of salt.

But $1000 for these seems like good bang-for-the-buck to me, though perhaps a touch higher than what i think the market "sweet spot" seems to be. They're not fancy instruments, but they're really intended to be high-quality, great-playing workhorse guitars for reasonable prices.

In my estimation, Suhr is aiming at the high-end of the "prosumer" market. The closest equivalent i can think of out there already are the PRS SE line, which have been VERY well received, and all the ones i've played have been really good guitars and excellent value. It's a similar concept of taking a well-known boutique brand and doing import versions that are worthy of the name. I can see the Rasmus guitars hitting the higher end of that same "prosumer" market. At $1000, they're good value. At $650, they'd be GREAT value.

#49 ·

That was the longest way ever to say "I agree with your latter post, and to me it's not worth it"

:lol:

Fair enough man, I can't argue that with you.

One word on the plek thing. That's a GREAT way to consistently get GREAT fretwork done very efficiently. I've still played maybe 3 guitars that while on paper should not have had better fretwork, but were able to be adjusted noticeably lower without buzz. That sId, when you're getting that low, super tiny changes in string height feel much more dramatic, from what I can tell.

I dunno how, a plek should be as good as any fretjob could be. An old Zion, some POS aria with apparently the worlds best refret, and an Anderson short hollow t. I dunno how these guys did it, but I'd like to figure it out lol.

#50 ·
FWIW, I don't see what the hype around Suhr/Andersons are. I've played a few, and yeah they are awesome guitars, some are even mindblowing. But for that price, if you buy a guitar thats not mindblowing, you made a big mistake.

For 1k this better really be awesome, I would say the gold standard for a 1K (new) guitar was the recent run of Charvel Socals. If the rasmus line tops those they will be well worth the money,

#62 ·
For 1k this better really be awesome, I would say the gold standard for a 1K (new) guitar was the recent run of Charvel Socals. If the rasmus line tops those they will be well worth the money,
Actually, thats a very good comparison. I'm under the impression these are somewhere about that, quality wise... plus, getting three Suhr pickups in H-S-H orientation is right up my alley. I'll reserve judgment on just how good they play/sound until after I've touched one.

#58 ·
Just to throw in on the Ibanez fretwork debate: My last Universe had a bunch of high frets on the high B & E String. The action had to be higher on both of those strings than any of the other strings to not buzz. The rest of them that I've owned were plenty fine enough.

That said, I agree with a lot of what was already said here -- I'm sure they sound great, play great, etc. But they look boring as shit.

#69 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)

Dude, I've got three KxK's. One is a white V with black bevels and iron cross inlays. It looks completely badass. The other two cannot even compare.

I never play it, since the other two sound better. I'm telling you, looks are the least important thing. You shouldn't judge these guitars before playing one, since the fact of the matter is you have no clue what they are really like.

#70 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; A6277 Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 Sprint APA6277KT)
I never play it, since the other two sound better. I'm telling you, looks are the least important thing. You shouldn't judge these guitars before playing one, since the fact of the matter is you have no clue what they are really like.
Ya know, i'm sure its awesome, but if it doesnt visually attract me, i'l just treat it like something on my dinner plate that i didnt want to eat and pushed around with my fork for while before losing interest.

#73 ·
My cheap shit LTD was made in China and the fretwork on it is great. No low or high spots, fret ends dressed very neatly and uniformly. (the electronics suck on it but that is another issue and isn't really relevant)

I have clients that have factories in China. quality control is still a huge issue for some of them. At least the factory they chose has ISO certification.

According to their price list all of the models have a MSRP of $1332. I expect you should be able to pick one of these up for much lower than that. (probably around 800 - 850)

I'd consider one (Id consider it more if they had a maple board option).

#76 ·

Max said:

Jeff said:

Have you played a suhr ever?

I work a what for a long time was one of the biggest Anderson dealers around, and suhrs are in the same league, as well as the private stocks from PRS.

I personally think that a good guitar, albeit downright awful looking IMO, gone over by John's crew, would kick a carvin or ibanez or whatevers ass. I love me sone carvins, and REALLY love me some ibbys, and the American washburns kick serious ass, but rarely rarely rarely are the best of those as nIce as the weaker offerings from suhr, Anderson and the like.

Now, is that last 1% worth it? I dunno. When you really really get every last drop out of it, when you groove with it, fuck yes. Otherwise, probably not.

It's just another alder superstrat that frankly looks fucking horrid, but if I had to buy an alder superstrat without playing it first, I'd bet money this would be my best bet at an absolutely fantastic playing and sounding axe.

Ita not that it's nice because it says suhr, it's that it only says suhr because it's nice. They're one of the only brands I'd trust to start a cheaper brand that I feel I could recommend sight unseen
Had you read the thread, you'd know the answer is yes. And like I have already said, they're nice guitars. I'm not saying otherwise. I just don't think they're worth what they cost.
Just my opinion. I just don't buy into the voodoo that Anderson, Suhr, or Tyler apparently have. For the money, I'd rather buy a KXK or Sherman. Then I know they're not milking the name.

#79 ·

Had you read the thread, you'd know the answer is yes. And like I have already said, they're nice guitars. I'm not saying otherwise. I just don't think they're worth what they cost.
Just my opinion. I just don't buy into the voodoo that Anderson, Suhr, or Tyler apparently have. For the money, I'd rather buy a KXK or Sherman. Then I know they're not milking the name.
I don't think you could get a Sherman or KxK for $1000...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.