Carvin Catastrophucks.

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carvin Catastrophucks.

ME: Ibanez 540PIIM
    Rig: Peavey 6505

Carvin Catastrophucks.

Anyone have any scary stories? I'm quite aware o their reputation for accidentally making something left handed, wrong hardware, wrong colour, etc., but I cannot find any threads now.
    "W yn shn y zhī, shn y xng.
    Tiān xi m nng zhī, m nng xng." - Lao Tse - my band.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

Carvin =/= Roter. You should be fine

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

I think at worst they might send you an off-quality finish, a shitty fret, or a poor setup. I've read "horror stories" that really weren't all that bad - just a justifiably pissed-off customer who didn't really get their butts kissed like Carvin promises to do. Their customer service, from what I've read, has gone down a few levels from their glory days.

Past that, you really should be fine, and they certainly still offer a good value on a quality instrument.

Ordering the new Frank Gambale sig?
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Anyone have any scary stories? I'm quite aware o their reputation for accidentally making something left handed, wrong hardware, wrong colour, etc., but I cannot find any threads now.
    I've never heard of them having that reputation.

ME: Ironing Board
    MA: Laundry Mangle
    MB: Cascade Dish Detergent
    Rig: Washing Machine

Yeah, I've never heard "horror stories" per-say. A few things arriving a little "off" but never anything severe... most of which got sorted out with a call to customer service.
    Argbadh - RHLC

Rig: Transporter

I've ordered a few carvins in the past (basses) and haven't really had too many problems. The only real problem I had was with the bass pictured below. I ordered it over the phone, and apparently my definition of a humbucker differed from that of Carvins.

Awesome bass otherwise.

Oh, also. I can't remember if it was this bass or another one, but I had placed an order for a bass, natural finish, black hardware (It probably was this bass ) and about a week after I paid carvin introduced those rosewood knobs. So I call up, and ask to change my order to include the rosewood knobs, instead of the black ones. Even though my bass hadn't even been CNC'd yet, they wanted to charge something like a $100 fee in order to make a change to my current order, and all I wanted was knobs to be changed to something that wasn't offered when the order was first placed. It wasn't like I asked for different wood or something.

So I'm on the phone with the guy, and I'm like "So, you want to charge me $100 to switch to $5 knobs on a guitar that hasn't even been built yet "

I can't remember how that got resolved, but I sure as hell didn't spend $100 for knobs.

ME: KxK BSG7
    Rig: VHT GP3>Axe FX>VHT 2/90/2

I've heard a few stories. Can't remember where it was posted, but someone received a guitar, ordered stainless steel frets, and when they got the guitar, for some reason or another they put it away for a few months. When they open the case, half the frets were tarnished, half weren't. Turns out he had half stainless and half nickel frets. Can't remember the outcome, was a long time ago.

I've also heard stories of people getting guitars with the wrong specs, but I'm sure they were cleared up by their customer service. Problem is with you being in the UK, would be a bitch to ship back.

ME: LTD SC600 / UV7BK
    Rig: JMP-1>VHT 2/90/2>Zilla's

Carvin have an offical UK distributor, so Simon would only have to send it back to them, not the USA.
    I'm so metal I shit bats

My band > WALK IN COMA