Classical guitar question

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical guitar question

ME: Kxk 7 + RG 1527m x2
    Rig: ENGL Invader + AXE-FX II

Classical guitar question

Hey guys, so during my trip to Iraq I had the chance to play with some really great classical guitar players. This made me really interested in picking up the instrument and learning my self.

What i did notice are the necks are HUGE and the amount of playable frets stops at around 12. I am looking into buying my own guitar, but I really know little about what’s out there.

In essence I want something that is really similar to my Ibanez electrics (if there is something that exists like that?)

Are there classical guitars with 24 frets (or more that 18), deep cutaways / thin necks? Thanks for the help!

ME: Ibanez RG321MH

Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.3.0.1390.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P007) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

In classical you rarely need to go above the 15th fret. If you do, it's not hard to lift that wrist

I play a Lucida, but mine is from the old series that was made in Spain before everything went to China. They are very solid guitars. My professor recommended them and Takamine. Ibanez does make classical guitars but I have no experience with them.

As for the neck, some builds are thinner than others (certain Yamahas for example). Takamine offers a 24 fret classical cutaway. But why use a cutaway on a classical? You mess up the butterfly and essentially castrate your guitar...imho.

Personally, I find the c necks actually help keep my hand positioned properly/higher over the strings.

ME: ESP Maverick
    Rig: 6505~(some pedals)~Orange

This is what you want. Had one for a while and it's quite ok for the price : | Acoustic Guitars | GA6CE
    President - Reverse Headstock Lover's Club ©

classical guitars are pretty much like that, fat necks, flat radius, no higher access. most of the classical stuff will not need you to play any higher.

but there is a "crossover" instrument called the alhambra crossover! which features a more electric type feel and onboard electrics.

Alhambra CS-3 CW Crossover Cut-away Classical Guitar. Classical Guitars PLUS.

there is also a chet atkins nylon string that yngwie plays live.

I too am about to pull the trigger on a classical. From what I understand the taller necks make finger style playing easier although I'm not a big fan of thick necks. I'm going tomorrow to play a bunch to see if they're for me. Might just end up with an acoustic.

ME: ESP LTD H-207
    MA: Taylor 310
    Rig: Mesa 20/20

La Patrie makes some very decent sounding and playing classical guitars for the price. Anything much cheaper tends to sound like a kleenex box strung with elastic bands. They tend to be quite plain but enjoy solid construction. Once fretwork is decent what you really seem to pay for in a classical is richer sound and better sustain. Unfortunately, in my experience, these are qualities very difficult to find in a classical under $1500-2000.

As for upper fret access, I've got to agree with others here. You just don't generally get that high on a classical. Gut strings just don't sound that good at high pitches. A cutaway can provide some improved access but I personally think that a cutaway does detract from the richness of sound. Gut strings seem to be especially sensitive to materials and construction.

If you're not that concerned with "authentic" gut string sound and would prefer a thinner neck I can recommend the Raven West RG2180 I have a later model with different sound holes. The electronics in mine are shite but the fit and finish is incredible. The neck is very slim, fast and comfy, with a satin finish. With better electronics it would be truly kick ass. Though still can't be expected to sound like a "good" classical.
    We're all musicians, still searching for our roots.

ME: Ibanez RocketRoll II
    Rig: Mesa Triple

Quote Originally Posted by playstopause View Post
    This is what you want. Had one for a while and it's quite ok for the price : | Acoustic Guitars | GA6CE
    I had one too. It was pretty nice.

ME: Kxk 7 + RG 1527m x2
    Rig: ENGL Invader + AXE-FX II

Thanks for the info guys, i guess its time i try a bunch of them out.