Middle pickups...does anyone actually use them?

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Middle pickups...does anyone actually use them?

ME: Les Paul Standard
    MA: Yamaha 6er/Tacoma 12
    MB: Peavey
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Middle pickups...does anyone actually use them?

Those who own HSH or SSH guitars...do you ever actually use the middle pickup for anything?

I've noticed more and more that pretty much everything I try them for just feels like a neutered version of one of the other positions, like it does lots of things ok-ish without doing anything especially well. I do however love combinding it with the bridge or neck pickup (in single or humbucker mode), but the sound on its own leaves me so indifferent I've been serious contemplating slapping a superswitch in my Jackson and wiring it so the middle position is neck and bridge together instead.

Anyone else find this?
    "The greatest power one may possess -- in any situation -- is simply not to care what happens.

"In fact, it's the only power, all others being a semblance and mockery of it. But you must also not care about possessing the power itself. So fuck it."

Thomas Ligotti

My Strat has the traditional SSS setup, but even then there are certain things for which I think the middle pickup in isolation is great. I like the fact that it's not quite as smooth as the neck, nor nowhere near as spiky as the bridge.

EDIT: I did have the 'Sultans of Swing' video here, but it seems that Mark uses the bridge and middle pickups together for that one.

ME: Epi MKH LP7
    MA: Hyostar SJ-971
    MB: LTD B-206SM
    Rig: Blackstar HTMetal 100>2x1

I used the middle in my shitty old Starcaster but usually just to make the annoying humming stop

The "Middle" pickup in the SC8 I use though I do like playing around with the different pickups when I can.

ME: Les Paul
    MB: Buttery Biscuit
    Rig: Mesa/Sunn

I do, but very rarely, though it does sound nice for cleans when finger picking.

ME: Charvel Strathead
    Rig: Laney Ironheart

Wirelessly posted (Demondroid: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.0b12pre) Gecko/20110217 Firefox/4.0b12pre Fennec/4.0b5)

I use the middle pickup on my HSS guitars for bluesy type sounds. I never use the one on my HSH guitar.

on my strat i use it mainly in conjunction with the other 2. but alone it can do a good dick dale sound.

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

I can't use the middle pickup in my strat. It's right where I pick, so I have to have it buried in the pickguard otherwise I smack the crap out of it.

ME: Ibby CST,CT,UV pwh
    MA: Ibby CST w/piezo
    Rig: Axe fx II

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I can't use the middle pickup in my strat. It's right where I pick, so I have to have it buried in the pickguard otherwise I smack the crap out of it.
    ^this......that's why I don't own any more guitars with either H-s-s or H-s-H...