Metal Guitarist Forums banner

An elusive Australian (p)oni sighted!

9K views 87 replies 31 participants last post by  Max 
#1 ·
Keep in mind, it is skittish - it wanted to hide behind some soon to be binding stock

See less See more
#26 ·
Strewth!!!

Machining neck and headstock face

Zoom out!

Trust road slut, and index pin holes for flippin the whole doodad over

Outside perimeter

Bandsaw the bulk off and start the rear

MOREZ

HS area done

keep going....

Thar she blows

Because this is a one off neck I haven't bothered doing the neck to headstock transition in 3d CAD. It's quicker to get that done by hand. The heel area will be machined once the neck is on the body.

#33 ·
Bumping because Dan just sent me a picture that looks FUCKING AWESOME, but I'm going to be a teasing bastard and not post a picture (also I see dan is also browsing this thread, so you'll probably see it anyway :rofl:)

:metal:

#34 ·
Bit of a bump. The body binding turned out to be hell, I did the bass side twice (the most contoured area), the second attempt was 1 or 2 inches at a time, sometimes followed by reworking with an iron and moisture. Had to route away the first attempt then refine the curvature with a scalpel to suit how the wood likes to bend (this is in the Z axis along the height of the binding). In the future I'll unroll the edge profile from 3d to 2d and CNC the binding strip from wider stock so it will match the body contour as it's bent around. Here's the headstock veneer, sans pearl logo which I'll cut tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.