Metal Guitarist Forums banner

500k Pots... a tale of woe

Tags
500k pots tale woe
5K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  105 
#1 ·
So I acquired a duncan over the weekend, a mono jack and a 500k pot to switch my guitar from an EMG to a passive. Being that it's a Rhoads, I had to fish the wire though the wing and into the control cavity, get the pickup in the ring and installed, etc.

Once this was all done, I went to put the pot in the guitar. Well, the post of the EMG pot is slightly thinner than the CTS 500k pot I have, and the CTS won't fit in the guitar. So my question, does someone make a narrow post 500k pot?

#2 ·
Awww, fuck, you're kidding, right? :(

Is it a split shaft or a solid shaft pot? I think the solid shaft pots are thicker. Honestly, I've never run into this problem with a Jackson before. Even the oddball eighties ones.

#6 ·
It's the black tribal flame guitar.... so no scratch plate... and no desire to drill the 2002 NAMM showcase guitar... but I will if I have to!

I only have one RR with a scratch plate... my '85, that one would be easy to convert back to passives...

#7 ·
I seem to recall that CTS pots come in both metric and standard sizes, but I could be wrong. I would hate to drill that thing, since you risk chipping paint, and I know it has a lot of paint.

I'm assuming you bought mini pots?

#8 ·
I bought whatever pot Matt at Action handed me. Is there such a thing as a mini and non-mini pots?

I haven't swapped pickups in a guitar in 15 years. I put EMGs in my King V in '97, but I seem to remember that the deal was Mike could have the passives out of it if he did the install :)

#11 ·
I've had to use a knife to increase the size of the hole slightly on my guitars before (although they're not NAMM Jacksons, LOL) but it's hidden by the pot so not like it's a huge deal unless you're super anal or going to revert it when you sell it or something

if it's really a big deal just buy a new pot...

#27 ·
i've put square 1x1cm pieces of plastic (from grocery bags, cymbal bags, etc)... sometimes one square, sometimes two... depending on how heavy or thick the plastic bag was - and placed them on the bottom of the knob, then pressed onto the pot post. The plastic acts as a conforming shim and does a great job at holding knobs on. Since it envelopes the pot post all the way around, it tends to self-center the knob onto the post so you dont get any weird wobbles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.