Good Acoustics in the $600-$800 range

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good Acoustics in the $600-$800 range

ME: RGA 121 & SLSMG
    Rig: Blackstar Stage 60

Good Acoustics in the $600-$800 range

I've been doing some searching and I'm just havng some difficulty. So far I've found two:

Takamine EF-340 SCGN
    Taylor 314ce(used)

What are some others that you guys like in that price range and why?

ME: Ibanez S540LTD/RG760
    MA: Seagull S6
    Rig: Peavey 6505+

Seagull has some guitars in in that price range. I've only played a Original series S6 Q1 which is a bit cheaper than what you're looking at, but they're great guitars.

Martin also seems to have some guitars in that price range. Haven't played them so I can't comment on the quality.

ME: Rich Mahogany
    MA: Godin A6 Ultra
    MB: SR500
    Rig: Massive/Boobies

I had a $300 Ibanez classical that I dug, but when it comes down to it, if you're just banging out some bullshit to get laid, any $75 acoustic will do just fine

ME: JP6 / Carvin CS4
    MA: Martin DC-1E
    Rig: Axe-Fx II XL

ME: KxK ProtoVii-7
    MA: Martin D-28
    Rig: Mesa/Boobies Stiletto

Seagull and Breedlove would be my top two picks.
    Division: American Metal without the suck.

So live for today,
    Tomorrow never comes.
    Die young, die young,
    Can't you see the writing in the air?
    Die young, gonna die young,
    Someone stopped the fair.

ME: Les Paul
    MA: Les Paul
    MB: Les Paul
    Rig: Mini Rec

Quote Originally Posted by noodles View Post
    Seagull and Breedlove would be my top two picks.
    +1, for new.

I snagged my used Martin D-15 for $550 at a GC with case. It was a fine specimen. You have to be extra careful when auditioning used acoustics. It played like a dream and had a great tone, so I went for it. If you really like that Taylor 314, it's worth it. But make sure you spend time learning each brand's signature sound and feel before you hone in on one. Consider whether you want a big-bodied guitar for power strumming or a smaller guitar for snappier fingerpicking, or something in the middle.

I think if you're spending $600-800, you need to insist on all-wood construction - no plastic. Takamine's exempted from that I guess, but I hate those things.
    Making metal every night and day.

ME: Ibanez S540LTD
    MA: Taylor Big Baby
    Rig: Laney GH50L

Either Seagull, or if you like a brighter sound, the used taylors. My first acoustic was a taylor big baby ($600 or so these days) and it still rips like nobodies business. But, you either like taylors or you dont. Taylors are very... chimey. They sound AMAZING for modern sounds. But they dont have that wooly grit that martins do, or the woody chunk of a gibson slopeshoulder (generally, there are exceptions that tend to pop out often enough in the cedar topped 700 and walnut ranges). The only taylors id avoid are the 200s (too much price hike compared to the 100s for not enough improvement) and the 312s. I've never heard a good 312, and lord knows how many i sold. Id frankly never buy any of the 12s/GCs without a slotted peg-head. It makes the small body sound work well with the brightness taylor has. Opens it up a bit. Makes it... airier? I dont know quite how to describe it. But it tames the taylor high end so the small bodies dont just end up as pure zing.

Also, s00p is right. There should be 100% solid wood. Shit, $600 gets you a solid indian rosewood ibanez sthese days. (albeit coated in 17 inches of polyurethane. Also keep an eye out for tacomas. There was a run of tacomas a few years back ('02?) that had finish issues (read: It peels off in massive chunks ). Most of them were replaced, but there are a lot of them out there. Looks bad, but they sound amazing. Find me another USA all solid rosewood or flamed koa acoustic for under $400. For being on the small side, they sound startlingly similar to a gibson slopeshoulder, but with the chunk shifted up into the high midrange. Great axes for a great price.
    R.I.P. Guitars Etc
    RHLC Chief Promotions Officer

ME: Warmoth Warhead
    MA: Blueridge BR-40
    MB: Dingwall ABI, Kubicki
    Rig: Budda SD30

Another great one is Blueridge. I got my BR-40 for $350 and it is an absolutely awesome-sounding guitar. Need to shave down the saddle somewhat, but it's awesome.
    Too much focus leads to tunnel vision
    Too much faith leads to religion
    Too much knowledge leads to confusion
    Too many guitar lessons lead to jazz-fusion