Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Help/Opinions on an RG550

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Stitch 
#1 ·
I'm in the market for a decent 6'er at the moment and I've stumbled across what I think is an RG550 in a shop, and I don't know much about them so I'm asking you guys for help!

Caveat: No pics yet, but I'm planning on stopping by soon and grabbing a pic but I'll try and describe it as best I can. It's got:

• Black finish
  • Black pickguard
  • 3pc maple/bubinga neck
  • maple f/b
  • Edge trem (non lo-pro anyway)
  • Green pups in the bridge and neck that look like dimarzios
  • some green knobs/switch tip

Now the guy in the shop seemed to think it was a 470 or something, maybe I misheard him. He also said that they were stock ibby pickups in there, but I don't think so. There's no model number on them like there is on the middle (INF-whatever etc.) and green pickups don't seem to come standard on 550s anyway from what I've seen :lol:. Checked the serial number and it's 2001 which fits with what I've found on the ibanez wiki.

Basically the crux of it all is this: Looks in good condition, it's sexy as hell (Black/green/maple fretboard = :yesway:) and if it does have dimarzios in there then that's extra awesome, but is this a good deal?

Price is £365 ($580 but that doesn't mean too much). Anyone got experience with these 550s from that time? Obviously I need to play it for myself but I'm just looking for some outside opinions :cool:

See less See more
#5 ·
This was my black 550 before Mike refinished it into Penny.

$580 with Dimarzios if it's in good shape, imo, is still a liiiitle high, but if you like the axe fuck it - they are fantastic guitars (if it is indeed a 550).

If it IS a 550 and he thinks it's a 470, agree with him and talk him down, since 470's aren't worth anywhere near that much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.