Custom design help (8 string fan fret plan)

Heavy Metal Guitar   

Thread: Custom design help (8 string fan fret plan)

ME: Interceptor Pro 828
    Rig: Kemper Power Rack

Custom design help (8 string fan fret plan)

I am very indecisive on what I want out of a guitar and seeing as I have no time to build guitars any more, so I am heading down the custom route.

So I wanted to make this build my main guitar and my current interceptor 828 as my back up and hopefully the new guitar would be easier to play and sound better

I decided that RAN looks like my kind of guitar company seeing as they do odd shapes for lots of their instruments and they have knowledge of 8 string fan fretted guitars.

Current specs (sure):

- ESP f series body shape

- Conklin 8 string headstock

- Aftermath angled (set) (spoke to BKP the other day and they said they have almost done sorting the tooling for angled 8 string PUPs)
    - Ebony fret board
    - 5 piece neck maple flamed with ebony strips and carbon reinforced rods for strength (I want the neck to be very solid feeling)
    - It will be gloss green burst body and headstock, Back of the neck will be left clear and satin. Hoping to get it this green burst

Unsure specs:
    - Fan fret either 29.5"-27" or 29"-27" or 29"-26.5"
    Currently use a 28.625 scale and I like it however, I want a few chord to be a bit easier and the ability to tune lower if I want. So 29.5"-27" was my preference but, I am worried with will start to sound very bass like. Any recommendations?

- Neck joint completely up in the air, I have very minimal preference I like the character of both neck thru and bolt on. May go for set neck to get a bit of both and I was thinking if I went for a set or bolt on neck with a longer scale it should remove some of the fundamental of having a longer neck and give it back a more guitar like tone.

- Body wood, I am generally not a fan of warm sounding woods mahogany, ash etc... so I'm thinking alder which should be very clear and give a full frequency range. Anybody had experience with Alder and low tunings? Because, I am concerned about aesthetics as well I want a flame maple top which hopefully with aftermaths shouldn't be too harsh. Any other suggestions for tops?

I have yet to contact RAN (don't want to waste their time) and I am planning on working my ideas out a bit then contacting RAN in summer which I should have enough to place the deposit. Also does anybody know the turn around times at RAN?

Sorry for the huge post. Any suggestions would be helpful

You're indecisive, yet you want to spend a couple thousand dollars on a guitar thats customized to YOUR specs?

I am here:

ME: Interceptor Pro 828
    Rig: Kemper Power Rack

You can never be sure when ordering a custom. Like you can never be sure when buying a guitar online. You can only be sure when you plug it in and play it and that's not really possible with 8 string fan fretted instruments.

I know currently what I want a fan fretted 8 string with an esp f body and currently no guitar I have seen on the market is going to be perfect. The closest is RAN FF8 crusher but, it has a mahogany body and if I start changing the body materials and thinking about adjusting the pickups, the body shape etc... then it's going to be a custom. So I might as well design the whole guitar myself and get exactly what I want.

So I am asking other peoples opinions and if they have had experience which could help me.

ME: Rico Jr Jekyll 727

The other thing is that a slanted BKP 8 will be made to a specific fan (if it's made with pole pieces). I think you should be fine with a 2 or 2.5" fan, but you'll want to see what the BKP fan will be so you have your pickups on the correct slant. Otherwise you'd be better off using a blade 9 string pup.

And I second the notion that a custom is best purchased when you know what all the specs are, just to make sure you don't end up listening to a bunch of others who don't necessarily have experience or similar tastes to yours.