I am very indecisive on what I want out of a guitar and seeing as I have no time to build guitars any more, so I am heading down the custom route.
So I wanted to make this build my main guitar and my current interceptor 828 as my back up and hopefully the new guitar would be easier to play and sound better
I decided that RAN looks like my kind of guitar company seeing as they do odd shapes for lots of their instruments and they have knowledge of 8 string fan fretted guitars.
Current specs (sure):
- ESP f series body shape
- Conklin 8 string headstock
- Aftermath angled (set) (spoke to BKP the other day and they said they have almost done sorting the tooling for angled 8 string PUPs)
- Ebony fret board
- 5 piece neck maple flamed with ebony strips and carbon reinforced rods for strength (I want the neck to be very solid feeling)
- It will be gloss green burst body and headstock, Back of the neck will be left clear and satin. Hoping to get it this green burst
- Fan fret either 29.5"-27" or 29"-27" or 29"-26.5"
Currently use a 28.625” scale and I like it however, I want a few chord to be a bit easier and the ability to tune lower if I want. So 29.5"-27" was my preference but, I am worried with will start to sound very bass like. Any recommendations?
- Neck joint completely up in the air, I have very minimal preference I like the character of both neck thru and bolt on. May go for set neck to get a bit of both and I was thinking if I went for a set or bolt on neck with a longer scale it should remove some of the fundamental of having a longer neck and give it back a more guitar like tone.
- Body wood, I am generally not a fan of warm sounding woods mahogany, ash etc... so I'm thinking alder which should be very clear and give a full frequency range. Anybody had experience with Alder and low tunings? Because, I am concerned about aesthetics as well I want a flame maple top which hopefully with aftermaths shouldn't be too harsh. Any other suggestions for tops?
I have yet to contact RAN (don't want to waste their time) and I am planning on working my ideas out a bit then contacting RAN in summer which I should have enough to place the deposit. Also does anybody know the turn around times at RAN?
Sorry for the huge post. Any suggestions would be helpful