I've had this Jackson DKMG for some time now. Was very dinged up, and I was never really digging the EMGs. So I snagged some new pickups (Dimarzio CrunchLab and Liquifire) to put into this guitar, and then decided to make it look pretty.
This is the guitar before anything began:
And a couple of the dings in the finish:
I decided to bust out the heat gun and sandpaper. Since I was doing a solid finish, I wasn't too concerned if I scorched the finish. Made my life a lot easier as I had just finished sanding down a neck the week before.
I took it to a paint shop around here since the painter knows what he's doing and is pretty laid back. I was feeling lazy and didn't want to take up painting so I paid someone who know what the fuck they were doing to preserve my sanity.
Decided to do a base coat of metallic silver and then throw some candy green over top. Was thinking of doing a candy coat of blue or something, but ultimately green one. I have never owned a green guitar.
Here's the finished all wired up and assembled. I had to sand off 1-2 mm off of the heel of the neck since the factory finish was that much thicker. Unfortunately, I've already chipped it. I should have waited a couple weeks before re-assembly to let the clear/paint cure. Lessons learned...
I'll have to take some pictures outside in some good light. The flake and the candy really give it a dynamic look. Hard to capture that in a picture.
I didn't think it looked to bad in the first photos but, wow that looks amazing!